Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Using oil  (Read 4838 times)

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Using oil
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 01:38:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bikerjimbob [+]
Recently finished an 8500km trip around half of Australia (its a big country) on my 2017 800XCA, the bike was faultless throughout the trip and didnt use any oil at all.
But all the dead straight roads for 100's ok km at a time didnt help the tyres much  :001:
 :031: jim

Read this and be enlightened.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Chico

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Read this and be enlightened.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Chico

Thanks for that Chico very interesting I am with the ride it hard from day one group and it seems to work as my tiger goes real well no rattles no oil usage just a perfect bike all round .
Cheers Jim

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 05:05:32 AM »
My thinking is to ride as one would normally,not pamper the new baby. The very important point in the article is changing the oil after a few miles. When I did the first change at about 50 miles it was eye opening as to how much metal particles were in the oil, it shimmered in the sunlight..

Chico

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

i'm just not sure this is true, :084:  in general, bikes burning oil disappeared in the 60/70's, I was shocked when I came on this forum to see how common it was with some Triumphs, ive ran all my bikes in as normal/progressively, but never had oil burning issues

Same here, all my Hinckley Triumphs I've run-in old school eg keep them sweet, worse thing imo is to labour them. Oil changes at first 500, 1500 & 3000. None have needed oil top up between changes at 3k, even my 60k mile ST955.

Back in me yoof 60/70's I didn't have the patience & had to do it all again after catching up my own smoke on roundabouts.

Then we had chromed bores & Nikasil, now the bore coating technology is moving on faster than I can keep up with it. Maybe best stick with whatever the manufacturer recommends, they know what materials they've used, so should be the ones to tell us how to treat their engines in early days. Or we could take note of what we hear down the pub, or on forums. Ha
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Same here, all my Hinckley Triumphs I've run-in old school eg keep them sweet, worse thing imo is to labour them. Oil changes at first 500, 1500 & 3000. None have needed oil top up between changes at 3k, even my 60k mile ST955.

Back in me yoof 60/70's I didn't have the patience & had to do it all again after catching up my own smoke on roundabouts.

Then we had chromed bores & Nikasil, now the bore coating technology is moving on faster than I can keep up with it. Maybe best stick with whatever the manufacturer recommends, they know what materials they've used, so should be the ones to tell us how to treat their engines in early days. Or we could take note of what we hear down the pub, or on forums. Ha

I would believe the manufacturer, when a privateer has designed and built/sold   hundreds of thousands of engines, then i'll believe them....

Offline troubleshooter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
Mine used nothing when I bought it at 30k for the first few thousand miles, I then took it to Spain and did 2000 miles in ten days, much of it at speed and used nearly a litre - much more than I thought it would, but as someone said dealers aren't that interested at what was effectively 0.5l per 1000m. No leaks, no smoke. Since my return to more normal use, it hasn't used any. Discussed with dealer and they suggested it might be oil evaporation at constant high speeds in high temperatures, and a shift to 10W50 might improve it, so I'll do that at next oil change. Not particularly convinced though!

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

i'm just not sure this is true, :084:  in general, bikes burning oil disappeared in the 60/70's, I was shocked when I came on this forum to see how common it was with some Triumphs, ive ran all my bikes in as normal/progressively, but never had oil burning issues

equally I'm not sure that this is true.

over the years I've had a BMW 1150RT that used more oil than my 800, I put 30k (+) miles on that bike in the 2 years that I owned it.

The 2 Aprillia Tuono's that I owned also used enough oil that I'd check it after every ride.

The 2 KTM 400 singles that I owned also used a drop of oil

even my Mercedes Benz uses oil

so to say that bikes haven't burned oil since the 70's is not true at all.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 06:06:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
equally I'm not sure that this is true.

over the years I've had a BMW 1150RT that used more oil than my 800, I put 30k (+) miles on that bike in the 2 years that I owned it.

The 2 Aprillia Tuono's that I owned also used enough oil that I'd check it after every ride.

The 2 KTM 400 singles that I owned also used a drop of oil

even my Mercedes Benz uses oil

so to say that bikes haven't burned oil since the 70's is not true at all.

We can only go off personal experience. interesting to hear what other peoples experiences have been but we never seem to hear of the cause or cure. I would get shot if I had a bad'n, been lucky up to now. I did have oil burners back in the 60's/70's same as everybody else.

I have not had a modern Triumph use oil and I've had 5 since '94.

Never had a car use oil until after 100k miles and that was the 70's/80's cars. Never had modern cars use any, my last work car did 176k miles, never needed a top up.

I know people with similar bikes & cars that are oil burners, maybe it's the way they have been run-in, or maybe just bad'ns. Remember BMW diesel cars around year 2k, terrible oil burners.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 06:40:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by neilb [+]
I would be guessing, but I think about 300-400mL. That part is irrelevant to me if you're going to say it's ok, or they all do that.

It's very similar to mine over a single EU trip...lots of miles in a short period.....I think I was working the engine harder than normal, lots of revs, if that's a factor?

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I check mine every other friday when I get home from work, in that time I will have done 500 miles (ish) and I usually put in about 250 - 300ml. I have been recording the milage Vs oil use for quite a while, (probably about 20k miles but can't say exactly because I lost everything before 46k miles) and it hasn't changed at all.

the bike is now on 52k miles. I babied it when new and I think this is the result, as someone else said, the next time I get a new bike it is getting thrashed from the off.

That is definitely too much oil consumption
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch