Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Using oil  (Read 4640 times)

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Using oil
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Plodder [+]
My 2016 was burning 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles, and was like that pretty much from new. Triumph and the dealers didn't want to know. I loved the bike, but got shot of it after a couple of years, cos I was fed up carrying litres of oil whenever I went touring. I was just unlucky and bought a dud (I had a couple of electrical problems too ), but Triumph's lack of interest meant they lost two future sales. All dealers are probably the same, but once bitten.... My current ride hasn't used any oil, and it's bliss after all the heartache.

Sorry to hear that m8. I've read a few similar tales recently. Sad thing is, somebody else will buy these bad'ns and they'll never buy another trumpet again either. It's not just the first buyer. Wouldn't you think the factory would pull them back in to find what the problem is.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 05:52:45 AM »
Forums tend to magnify the negative, we only hear from posters when they encounter a problem and that's understandable. I've had two positive outcomes with Triumph HQ. Two different 800 Tigers, both times the bikes were slightly past the warranty time limits but low mileage. Corporate maned up and took care of the issues.
I think a lot depends on the dealer fighting and making the case for the customer. There are probably more positive stories forum members could post but like news organizations know "good news" doesn't sell.

Chico

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 08:09:43 AM »
Doesn't help the poor folk who laid out 10 - 13 grand to end up with an oil burner they can't cope with, get shut at considerable loss, trade in for another make 'cos the Triumph dealer is aware it's a bad'n, he doesn't want it.
Then some other poor sucker buys it & so on & so on. It might only be 1% or less of bikes/owners, but a right bummer if it's us.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
trade in for another make 'cos the Triumph dealer is aware it's a bad'n, he doesn't want it.

And how exactly would said Triumph dealer know from a phone call from another dealer that the bike was a badn?
Would you tell a dealer that your bike was burning oil and he really should not give you a good trade in price.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 10:16:21 AM »
Kinell, is it not obvious?

Anybody has a bad oil burner takes it up with the dealer, then it's on record. Jeez  :087:

Offline seconcwindsteve

• Tiger Cub
  • Fundy Bay
  • Bike: 2015 XRx
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2019, 11:35:27 PM »
I also use some oil in my '15 XRx, about a quart every 5k miles.  Someone recommended using a synthetic blend.  I'll give that a try next time.

Offline taff

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I check mine every other friday when I get home from work, in that time I will have done 500 miles (ish) and I usually put in about 250 - 300ml. I have been recording the milage Vs oil use for quite a while, (probably about 20k miles but can't say exactly because I lost everything before 46k miles) and it hasn't changed at all.

the bike is now on 52k miles. I babied it when new and I think this is the result, as someone else said, the next time I get a new bike it is getting thrashed from the off.

I've just done some sums on the data that I've collected over the last 10k miles (which takes the bike to 55k miles) and it turns out that I over estimated how much oil I've put in. It averages out at 365ml / 1k miles plus 2 services.

Recent Topics