Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Source of engine mount screws.  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Source of engine mount screws.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »
Justin
what length bolt did you use, Heed is 90mm, Probolt only goes to 80mm that I can see ?
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »
Stainless steel reacts with aluminium which can cause the aluminium to corrode. Also galling can occur causing seizure of the bolt in the thread. Hence why manufacturers do not fit st/st into aluminium threads. Ok into steel threads as in fairing fasteners & other situations eg mudguards. Do it at your own risk, you might get away with it. I'd do as the manufacturers do, they generally know what they're doing.
Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 05:54:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
... I'd do as the manufacturers do, they generally know what they're doing.

C'mon guys, what sort of advice is that to post on a bike forum...  :084:
'they generally know what they're doing.'

I mean next you will be saying read the instructions, let alone use the recommended oil.
Or use the recommended break in regime.

:125:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
C'mon guys, what sort of advice is that to post on a bike forum...  :084:
'they generally know what they're doing.'

I mean next you will be saying read the instructions, let alone use the recommended oil.
Or use the recommended break in regime.

:125:

Ha, just trying not to upset anybody. It's standard Engineering practice.

But you can refer to bike forums if you prefer.

Offline cwadej

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCx
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 09:27:11 PM »
Maybe that's why the factory puts a copper anti-seize on them?

Stainless steel reacts with aluminium which can cause the aluminium to corrode. Also galling can occur causing seizure of the bolt in the thread. Hence why manufacturers do not fit st/st into aluminium threads. Ok into steel threads as in fairing fasteners & other situations eg mudguards. Do it at your own risk, you might get away with it. I'd do as the manufacturers do, they generally know what they're doing.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 12:45:23 AM »

The manufacturers, of course, might be simply saving a little bit of money on every bolt, which adds up to a lot of money.

The oldest bike I have conveniently to hand with stainless steel fasteners is a Trident that I put s/s fasteners on - forks, swinging arm clamp bolts, handlebars, brake reservoir lids, and so on. That was 20+ years ago, no sign of issues. I'm 62 so at that rate any s/s fasteners I put on a bike now are unlikely to have any problems in my lifetime. Conversely, the reason I put s/s on was that the steel bolts had corroded in place and if they'd stayed in place much longer would have wrecked the threads  in the aluminium. So I'm sticking with stainless.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
Haven't had any problem with galling. Have had plenty of problems with non-stainless fasteners rusting into place. Have you ever owned an old bike?
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
I'm generally happy using SS fasteners in aluminium alloys as long as copper grease or Loctite etc. is used

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
The manufacturers, of course, might be simply saving a little bit of money on every bolt, which adds up to a lot of money.

The oldest bike I have conveniently to hand with stainless steel fasteners is a Trident that I put s/s fasteners on - forks, swinging arm clamp bolts, handlebars, brake reservoir lids, and so on. That was 20+ years ago, no sign of issues. . So I'm sticking with stainless.

:0461: I love using S/S whenever/wherever possible.  :017: :028:

All the threads, many cut straight in to the sandcast alloy engine casings, without inserts, were already 15yrs old before I renewed every fastener with S/S (and CopaSlip) in 94 and then and since also fitted any other item available in S/S to my Bonnie (cyl head studs/bolts, bars, mudguards, brake pistons, brake parts, rims & spokes, wheel spindles, etc, etc.). So now 40yrs since July 78 manufacture and 25yrs of S/S fitted and still not one solitary damaged or repaired thread on the bike .... my Tiger will be lucky to get to 5yrs old before the standard fasteners are causing issues to remove/refit.

There is even a specific (silver) CopaSlip for aluminium if that concerned .... but we only have the standard stuff in work  :164: and it has done me alright on alloy to S/S (or plain steel).
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics