Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New sat nav  (Read 2314 times)

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: New sat nav
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
Very happy with my TomTom Rider 550  :028:

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »
you can still get MapSource for use with a Garmin - much less of a hassle than BaseCamp

personally, I would hold off on a GPS purchase as the TFT sw update is due in the next few months - this will provide directions via BT from your phone's Google maps - the new Scrambler already has the update and it works well

bought a GPS when I got the XCA at the beginning of the year as I needed to load maps with extensive dirt trails - Maps4Africa

mounted the GPS on top of the dash using RAM U-bolts to the windscreen mountings - riding plenty of rough dirt and so far so good - haven't (yet) lost the GPS but I'll admit to putting a tether on with a Velcro strap just to be on the safe side
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Freddy2331

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCA
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 07:15:38 AM »
I just bought the Tom Tom Rider 550. Very impressed to date. Comes with genuine Ram Mount set for mounting, Has WiFi. Very easy set up.
😀😀😀

Offline Johannes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
Update on use of Tom Tom Go.

If you program a route and then stop on the route. Maybe browse tbe map on the satnav app. The route gets interrupted. When you start your route again it tries to guide you back to your start point....it has no logic to work out that you're already halfway along the preprogrammed route! Which makes your programmed route unuseable!! And more frustrating distracts you as it keeps trying to divert you in the wrong direction.
So i end up programming routes in sections.
Go support is woeful as i guess TTom would prefer it if we paid 400 for the hardware.

I will try to see if i can fond a solution to this. If not then i'll look at alternatives such as navmii.

Good features on TTom Go - camera locations. Traffic alerts (roads change colour). Road works. When it's working easy to see. My places and saved routes.

Offline Bulldogfour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '17
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
If you are using a track file then I'm sure there is an option to ride to the nearest point on the planned track.  If you are using a route file then again I believe you can make the current wp your start point.  These options aren't necessarily easy to find or manipulate though.
Bikes previous: NSU Quickly moped; Honda C50; Honda 305 scrambler; Yamaha RD350 (x2); Suzuki GT380; Honda NX250; Harley Sportster 1200; Yamaha TDM900; Yamaha 1300 cruiser; Honda CB600F5 Hornet; FJR1300 (x2); Triumph Explorer.

Bikes now: Triumph Tiger 800XRT - one bike less than optimum!

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
Very happy with my TomTom Rider 400. The sat nav is fitted above the clocks so the bikes screen keeps some of the rain away and then the aftermarket Sun visor helps as well so no big drops. The best new feature I found was when in average speed camera areas the sat nav tells you your average speed since you entered the restricted speed area so was a cinch setting the cruise control dead on the limit and never worrying about speeding.
The feature of finding fuel stations came in very handy too when in France on one of their national holidays.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 07:08:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Johannes [+]
Update on use of Tom Tom Go.

If you program a route and then stop on the route. Maybe browse tbe map on the satnav app. The route gets interrupted. When you start your route again it tries to guide you back to your start point....it has no logic to work out that you're already halfway along the preprogrammed route! Which makes your programmed route unuseable!! And more frustrating distracts you as it keeps trying to divert you in the wrong direction.
So i end up programming routes in sections.
Go support is woeful as i guess TTom would prefer it if we paid 400 for the hardware.

I will try to see if i can fond a solution to this. If not then i'll look at alternatives such as navmii.

Good features on TTom Go - camera locations. Traffic alerts (roads change colour). Road works. When it's working easy to see. My places and saved routes.
If you find yourself half way along a route that is trying to start you from the beginning , all that is required is to tap on the next waypoint and it will give you the option of using this point as a start ...

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:42 AM »
Garmin Zumo sat nav cos it's waterproof, and a quadlock mirror mount for the Galaxy S9 phone as a back up. Either myrouteapp for the Garmin or google maps route sent to the phone for back up. I also have sygic for the phone ....and a map in the tank bag   lol  :001:

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »
Used my TT Rider 550 to plot and navigate for a trip to Italy - 2400 miles. Did not have any navigation problems at all, my experience is that it re-routes and continues journeys where it needs to etc. - There are a lot of configurable choices/menu settings but once you've mastered them it's a great piece of kit.

I did manage to kill mine on the trip though, the usb port malfunctioned and melted! - I contacted their support site when I got home and they sent a returns label within a day, sent it off to them to inspect and received a brand new replacement unit 2 days later! Can't get better service than that! :046: :028:       

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
Johannes is talking about the Tomtom Android app not a stand alone unit

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch