Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New sat nav  (Read 2513 times)

Online kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: New sat nav
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Johannes is talking about the Tomtom Android app not a stand alone unit

OIC

:028:
It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll

Offline Johannes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 02:12:25 PM »
Exactly. This is the TTom Go app. That i am trying to get my head around. Not the core products which one of my mates swears by.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »
I suspect that it loads a track rather than a route

I'll give it a go when I go to work later and see what it does
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:34 PM »
I created a gpx route in Tyre and then imported it into TomTom MyDrive.
The phone synced it OK
I set off for work and stopped half way along the route to start it.
It behaved as I would expect and started navigating from where I was till the end
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Ofmo

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger800
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
It seems as though apps on mobile phones are a popular alternative to 'proper' sat navs, but do apps use excessive amounts of data?

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:24 AM »
Most apps use local downloaded maps so no great data burn
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Twatwomblesteve

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2011 tiger 800
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 11:06:09 PM »
Not sure about iPhone but I'm an Android user and for the last few years I've used a combination of Google Maps and osmand for on road navigation and maverick as well as osmand for off road. All have free downloadable Maps and once you get past the sometimes finicky ui of osmand and maverick they're really useful, but unless you get the paid versions you may find some limitations to them. I've used the free versions for a few years with no issues though.

Offline Johannes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Update on my experience using the Tom Tom Go App on Android. Used on 2 further weekends away.

Getting my head around the functionality. Best used for programming a route at a time. So i program in my destination, start the route then add multiple stop points to the active 'current' route. Note. These have to be spot on accurate otherwise the app will keep trying to direct you back to your last stop point. This has happened on a few occasions. Focusing in on the stop point and ensuring that it is set on the road or track that I'll be driving down and not 20 yards down a side road avoids this 'user induced error'.

Programming in the next 50 to 100 miles every hour or two is no great chore.

The app has added in a couple of odd 'loops' when programming in the next route. On all but one occasion I just cleared the route and reprogrammed it. This works 99% of the time however notably on the back road from Rhayader to Llanidloes past the Rhayader Dragons MX track it added a loop in exactly the same location on the last two occasions that i took that road. I now just know that it's flaky here and ignore it.

When it does sometimes go flaky, or i miss a stop via point there is a skip next stop function which usually sorts this out.

One feature that the app doesn't seem to have is to pre-program in several routes (usually done over a beer the evening before) and then call them up the next day. I just can't see how this is done despite trying various ways.

I am to email Tom Tom support see if they can assist.

On the whole, now that I'm used to the functionality it does the job well, and for 15 / year i think good value.

I trialled Calimoto which has a limit of 50 miles/week or upgrade to the full version for around 35. I could save pre-programmed routes in the trial/free version. But traffic updates/camera info etc isn't available until the full version is bought. Plus i think that the various maps were all additional spend. I'm going to post separately about Calimoto as I've tried Waze and Navmii and others and for me Go and Calimoto were the easiest to use. Even if Go has a few foibles...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch