Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice on loading camping gear on the rear  (Read 479 times)

Offline Johannes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR800
Advice on loading camping gear on the rear
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »
HI, i have a couple of weekends away coming up. Have my 2nd hand adventurer panniers fitted. But my tent, camp bed and sleeping bag - all cylindrical packs i envisaged being in some sort of tote bag on the top box shoe. I suppose i could invest in a large top box, but that involves spend money  :110:. But wondered if any of you had pictures of how you load items on to the rear without using a top box?

Or pics of how you load up your bike for long weekends/touring.

Are the slots in the top box shoe for 'Triumph' branded top box options?

Thanks in advance. David

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Advice on loading camping gear on the rear
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 11:05:57 PM »
Use a duffel bag on the rear seat rather than the rack. It centralises the weight much better.
I have two options. This is a 50L Enduristan bag. They are absolutely bomb proof. Just secure it with a couple of Rok Straps and you are good to go.

This is a 30L Andy Stapz A Bag. It is my go to and usually if I go away for only one night it is my only bag on the bike. Andys bags have built in securing straps so you can still access the top of the bag easily. These are not claimed to be 100% waterproof but I have only once in 10 years had any dampness inside the bag.

Both these bags are long enough for tent poles.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
BTW. You don't need a motorcycle specific duffel. Go to any outdoor or camping store and look at what they have you will usually find something suitable very inexpensively. Duffels also have the advantage of being able to be used off the bike for general travel as well.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:08:20 AM »
Check out LOMO for excellent value roll top dry bags.
https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000088.pl?SECTIONID=uk-wet-suits-dry-suits-catalogue.html&NOLOGIN=1

Ideal for tents etc etc.
Rock Straps are unquestionably the best for the job . Far better than bungees.

Better than having the roll bags on the rear seat is to fit a rear rack ; this one is quite expensive but shows the idea exactly.

https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/triumph-tiger-800/altrider-luggage-rack-for-triumph-tiger-800xc-t811-1-4000/

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:18:12 AM by Flyfifer »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
Aldi in Australia have suitable waterproof 50 and 60 litre duffels on sale this week for 11 UK pounds.
The point about putting the bag on the pillion seat rather than the rack is that it centralizes the weight. As you can see in the second photo above the weight is more or less directly over the rear axle rather than hanging high out the back where it can have a pendulum affect. Ultimately where luggage is positioned is the riders choice. I like to keep the weight as low as possible as as much between the axles as possible.

Offline tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
Shame you can't fit a rear rack in place of the rear seat :002:
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:01:06 PM »
I put all that heavy stuff in bottom of a pannier. Even my stand up tent (Vango Galaxy300) fits in my 37L pannier with poles at an angle. Footprint, pegs anorl. Then my helinox chair, pants & trainers. all in one box. Get to camp, open that box, change into pants & trainers, tent up, bike clobber in pannier. Helps in rain.

The other pannier has me table, clothing, toilet bag, pills, towel, Exped 70 mat, cooking kit, plate & food.

Top box - Sleeping bag leaving room for me helmet when I stop at a caff on route. I lock me helmet & gloves in topbox when I'm camped up, all me other riding clobber & boots locked in the panniers out of my way, safe'ish & easy to get at when I take a ride out.

I rarely go anywhere without a top box, beats carrying a helmet about. I bought a 52L Givi Trekker that fits 2 helmets for when missus comes with me. Bought s/h 100 squids. Loads on ebay

Works for me. Had similar set up on all my trumpets for past 25 years. See pic of my Tiger Sport, same kit as I now use on the Tiger 800.

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Johannes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR800
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 05:15:54 PM »
Thanks for all the use advice and pics. D

Recent Topics

winded-staunch