Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dual USB charger is ‘Always ON’  (Read 521 times)

Offline mrwizard

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
Dual USB charger is ‘Always ON’
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
Hi,

I gave my 2017 800 XCx model to the local dealer to install the dual USB charger. I just noticed that the charger is ‘always ON’. They said that this is the only way to connect the charger to the bike. Why I'm asking, is that the charger has on LED light, and it's always working = draining the battery. I understand that LED doesn't use much electricity, and it will take a lot of days of not riding to fully drain the battery, but still.

Can somebody share some examples/ideas if this is true or not? Previously I had Yamaha, and the charger was connected the way that it was only working when the bike was working.

Thanks,

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Dual USB charger is ‘Always ON’
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
It sounds like it's just connected to the battery.

Get it reconnected to a switched live e.g the horn or though a separate relay

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you don’t quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline mrwizard

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
It sounds like it's just connected to the battery.

Get it reconnected to a switched live e.g the horn or through a separate relay.

The battery doesn't have anything (apart from standard wires) connected to it.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
It'll be tapped into a hot feed somewhere, just changed it to a switched live
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you don’t quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline Flyfifer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
Maybe your dealer used the feed that was intended for an additional power socket. That feed (like the front socket) is always live.
Lots of posts on here  --- but on a 2017 bike pick up the +ve feed to the Horn and use that to operate a relay to feed power to your extra device.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
USB sockets are well known for this it is a trait of the way they do the step down from 12V to their output voltage. Google will easily explain the issue in technical terms if you want. You never leave a USB plug in any socket that is constantly live (for example the factory power socket/s on the Tiger) or it will reasonably quickly flatten the bikes battery.
If you are going to fit a dedicated USB outlet on a bike it needs too be connected to a switched live circuit for example the horn or the twilight not a constantly lkiove circuit such as the Tiger power sockets.

Recent Topics