Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fram Oil Filters  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Fram Oil Filters
« on: July 12, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »
Anyone used Fram oil filters on their Tiger?

I always use Fram filters on my VW Golf and previous VW Polo (14yrs total), plus 20+ years on my 79 Bonneville full flow filter conversion, so am quite happy with their quality. I used the Fram website to find 2 listed, standard and Ultra.

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/?ref=NoIg5gpgdhBOCGAbEAaKBXRiUgEwAYBGANlRABUAlASQFUBZABQAkzyBLSWAAgA5983ABqUUwyuTEihZfvgDG8sowD2AdzjcAygAcVsAC4BnMvRUH98gJ7zEEEAF0gA

I saw both in Walmart and the standard filter was $6.47 and the Ultra $9.47 so I picked up a couple of the Ultra ones to try .... certainly cheaper than Triumph standard ones.

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG6607/?ref=NoIg5gpgdhBOCGAbEAaKBXRiUgEwAYBGANlRABUAlASQFUBZABQAkzyBLSWAAgA5983ABqUUwyuTEihZfvgDG8sowD2AdzjcAygAcVsAC4BnMvRUH98gJ7zEEEAF0gA

You can scroll the application list up to 'Triumph'.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline cwadej

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCx
Re: Fram Oil Filters
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »
Hi-Flo for me.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 02:52:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by cwadej [+]
Hi-Flo for me.

Hi, I had tried to find the time to ask the question but a tablet is a real PITA compared to the keyboard of a laptop and in the end I never got around to it and now back home in the UK.

The question was 'Do any of you source your oil filters at your local auto parts store or even Walmart or Target store?
If so could you supply the make and number.'?
I'd still be open to recommendations for future vacations. :028:

I had a slot where I dropped SWMBO to the craft store and shot off and tried O'Reilly with zero response and Advance Parts who said he had catalogues to cross reference everything, but after 5 minutes of him thumbing through various filter makers books (they stock a good variety of makes) without a hint of even finding motorcycle lists I told him I'd leave it for now.
I was then going to follow up with the question here for a correct proven answer here but in the end found Walmart listed stocked Fram filters at their stores and after cross checking the Fram site went with those.

Also a pity I can't take oil on the plane, you guys have it so cheap no wonder you happily change it so frequently above scheduled requirements.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
Never used Fram but have used Mahle OC575 when I'm out of stock of OE filters. Mahle are imo better quality, each to their own on that. Mann are good quality filters, I believe they do one that fits Triumphs.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 05:10:20 AM »
There are many brands of oil filters that fit the T800 -- happily, Triumph chose to use a very common style/fit oil filter.
In my research the filter was commonly seen a couple decades ago on Honda autos and came in 2 sizes, short & long, (interchangeable if space permits) and were found listed for ordinary 4cyl and 6cyl Honda (Civic?) cars.
I have a list of a couple dozen part numbers for different brands of filters -- all supposedly will fit -- that was gleaned from cross-over charts. I think the list was done by a Yamaha FJR1300 owner?
The FJR takes the same filter as the T800: Yam. part # 5GH-13440-00-00 (short) and 5JW-13440-00 (long).
Walmart sold store-brand for many years - SuperTech - and the short was ST6607, long ST7317 (I think Walmart may have recently changed their store-brand?).
When I want one from a store that sells car oil filters, I look-up those Hondas -- they used the same filters for quite a while. Many motorcycles take the same filter, too.
All OK by me as long as the color doesn't 'clash'...  :110:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
In my research the filter was commonly seen a couple decades ago on Honda autos and came in 2 sizes, short & long, (interchangeable if space permits) and were found listed for ordinary 4cyl and 6cyl Honda (Civic?) cars.

The OE Triumph filters changed in outside diameter around 2004, it fitted the same motors, the new smaller one has not been changed since & is common to most all Triumphs & as said many other marques also. I had bought the Triumph oil filter tool just before this happened, then had to buy another to fit the smaller filter. The dealer so kindly gave me a slight discount on the second one. Last year I bought 2 of these tools off ebay, far better quality & fit for 1.39 each delivered. Ha.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
Im about to do a 66,000 mile service, basically oil and filter change.  I have been looking at hiflo filters, about half the price of oem. (6.00)  But then they also make a racing filter, which is twice the price ( about the same as oem).

If the standard is as good as reviews suggest, why go for the dearer one? Can it be that better?  Is it playing to " if good is good then better is best"

Has anyone experience of these... I guess you will only know they are crap when the worst happens!

Offline troop

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2016 800 XCxR
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:20:54 PM »
I believe the only difference between the regular HiFlo and the HiFlo Racing is that the racing version has the welded on nut to facilitate safety wiring.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:23:48 PM by troop »

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »
Thanks Troop,  I saw the nut and wondered if that was all it entailed.
Seriously thinking of trying a hiflo.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »
I have used the H iFlo racing one and the only difference is the nut as far as i'm aware.

If you shop arround you can get them under a tenner, think I got two for 16.

I would only use the nut on removal though. Makes the job super easy.

Recent Topics