Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil level  (Read 3534 times)

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
Re: Oil level
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »
Centre stand?

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015 800 XCx
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »
Well Ive just checked my level doing it the way the manual says and its perfect on the max line while on the centre stand so Im happy with that 👍🏿
Thanks for the help! 😁

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
Centre stand?

A centre stand on level ground lifts the back up so the bike is not level as far as the oil is concerned.
The best option is just have the bike on the side stand on level ground and stand on the right side tip the bike towards you so the bike is vertical hold the front brake on (I use my left hand) and bend down to see the level. With practice it is dead easy to do and really has no element of risk as you are holding the bike with the brake, the side stand is down to stop it falling left and you are using your hip to hold the bike vertical so there is no way it will overballence to the right.

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
I level the bike front to rear manually whilst crouched down checking the site window.. works for me

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
On the centre stand you can see the level in the window slightly not level, its quite easy to see where the level would be when the bike is more level. Its near as dammit level anyway, Ill get a photo next time Im in the garage to show what I mean.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by petesear [+]
I level the bike front to rear manually whilst crouched down checking the site window.. works for me

:0461: On the centre stand (provided you have one) it takes no effort to gently tip the bike back or forward and balance it to get the oil level relative to the marks.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
I have found the correct oil level fills the window when cold (and the bike level), any gap tells me its low. This is a far easier and quicker way of checking because I rarely follow the unnecessary complicated and vague procedure out side of oil changes.

On a side note does the oil usually look dark in the window?

I just did an oil change and the oil in the window looks dark already, this also happened when I did the first oil change when I got the bike but I thought it was because the previous owner had not changed the oil in a while.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »
Mine looked black when I did my first service but when I dropped the oil it looked a nice colour

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »
It does turn black as soon as you replace with new oil.  It is very difficult to drain the old dirty oil completely, so what is left contaminates the new.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
Yes it looks dark immediately which made me think the window was tinted or there is an issue. Previous bikes I have had have had clear windows and the oil always looked fresh for weeks.

Recent Topics