Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil level  (Read 2873 times)

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Oil level
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZenDog [+]
I have found the correct oil level fills the window when cold (and the bike level), any gap tells me its low. This is a far easier and quicker way of checking because I rarely follow the unnecessary complicated and vague procedure out side of oil changes.

Just look at it after you've filled up with fuel, it at temp and settled, nothing complicated, unnecessarily so or other.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
Yep, that is another way, but you don't have any oil at hand (other than buying some) to top up if desperately needed.

Online AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »
I have found the correct oil level fills the window when cold (and the bike level), any gap tells me its low.
...but you don't have any oil at hand (other than buying some) to top up if desperately needed.
Any oil in the sight-glass is plenty -- low oil level is below the low level line on the sight-glass (and, that's still about a gallon of motor oil).

On a side note does the oil usually look dark in the window?
Color of motor oil isn't much of an indicator of quality -- UOA (used oil spectrographic analysis) can determine quality and doesn't reference color at all.

"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:0461: On the centre stand (provided you have one) it takes no effort to gently tip the bike back or forward and balance it to get the oil level relative to the marks.
exactly and you will also find out that the raised back wheel does not make much of a difference regarding the oil level. I put a piece of wood under the front wheel to level the bike on centre stand
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
I have found the correct oil level fills the window when cold (and the bike level), any gap tells me its low. This is a far easier and quicker way of checking because I rarely follow the unnecessary complicated and vague procedure out side of oil changes.

If the glass is full how do you know what the level really is. Overfilled with oil can cause various detrimental results ... definately not a method to be encouraged.  :110:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 11:59:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
If the glass is full how do you know what the level really is. Overfilled with oil can cause various detrimental results ... definately not a method to be encouraged.  :110:

and if the glass is full when the engine is cold there is definately too much oil

Offline ZenDog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCX
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by RockyMtn800 [+]
Note: An accurate indication of the level of oil in the engine is only shown when the engine is at normal operating temperature

I wish it indicated correctly when cold

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »
I wish it indicated correctly when cold

don't think you can: Oil expands when it gets hot for one thing cold oil tends to cling to certain parts of the engine so not all oil will run back in to the oil sump. Oil needs to be warm to checked.

My Tiger has now about 72,000 kms on the clock, my oilcheck is dead simple. When I stop for fuel or something I put the bike on the centre stand, let the oil settle (typically that's the time I need to fill up and pay), check the level end of story. If I am totally anal about it I will level the bike on centre stand by putting a piece of wood under the front wheel but in most cases I do not bother.

Very easy in fact compared with my bobber where the oil glass is so tiny and so hiden it's a nightmare to check oil level.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Yep, that is another way, but you don't have any oil at hand (other than buying some) to top up if desperately needed.

If you check it after you've fuel up each time, it won't have changed much in the last 200 miles so could just wait till you get home
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline troubleshooter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Given the idiosyncrasies of checking the oil level, how do you make sure you don't overfill initially when doing an oil and filter change? Put in less than the spec to start with?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch