Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil level  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015 800 XCx
Oil level
« on: July 13, 2019, 07:17:41 PM »
Call me a dumbass if you like but unfortunately I dont have a owners manual to check, where is the correct oil level in the window at cold? Is it half way or at the top? Cheers ☺️

Online pahiker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCx
Re: Oil level
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »
The owner's manual indicates it should be at the halfway point when the engine is at operating temps. There is no mention of checking the level when cold.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »
Thanks much appreciated

Offline RockyMtn800

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 xrx
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 09:39:27 PM »
From the 2018 Xrx Manual. "Start the engine and run at idle for approximately five minutes. Stop the engine, then wait for at least three minutes for the oil to settle. Note the oil level visible in the sight glass. When correct, oil should be visible in the sight glass at a point midway between the upper (maximum) and lower (minimum) horizontal lines marked on the crankcase.
Maintenance
Note: An accurate indication of the level of oil in the engine is only shown when the engine is at normal operating temperature and the motorcycle is upright (not on the side stand).
  When correct, oil should be visible in the sight glass at a point midway between the upper (maximum) and lower (minimum) horizontal"

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
Thank you, I believe my bike is slightly over full so I will have to try it by the book and see the out come

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 01:15:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Robzulu80 [+]
Thank you, I believe my bike is slightly over full so I will have to try it by the book and see the out come

As long as the oil is on or below the maximum mark there are no issues.

Offline Robzulu80

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »
What could happen if its slughtly over full, lets say by 200ml?

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
I find it helps with a second person to hold it upright so I can get to 'eye level' with the sight gkass, its a PIA really.

Ive often wondered about the wisdom of checking like this then seeing where the oil is on the side stand, so I have a new  level to work to.  Thing is, it often looks empty when warm and  the side srand is on the level.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
just lean it against a wall or something if you struggle to hold it up and bend down to look

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Wight Biker

• Tiger Pro
  • Never too old to ride.....
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
Use a block of wood under the side stand so the bike is almost upright (take care not to have the wood too thick in case the bike goes just past the vertical). You can then check the oil level on your own. Done this for years and never had a problem of the bike falling over and filling up in this way the oil level is fine.

Recent Topics