Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: lowering my xrt800  (Read 415 times)

Offline bert4848

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800xrt
lowering my xrt800
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
Hello all
 this is my first post and i haven't got a clue what will happen ,but here goes I took delivery of my xrt on Saturday i have had a xrx low for two years and it was great apart from the time i cought  the peg@s so that why i got the xrt . but as i am only 5ft 6 the problem i now have is i am on my toe end when stopping .Can any one give me some advise on what the best way of lowering the bike or the seat or best way forward  oh and by the way i am an old fart so growing for me stopped a long time ago or didn't rely happen lol :
BAM

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: lowering my xrt800
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
Hi and :401:

My experience of acquiring my XRt (and based on riding the demo XRx) was that I initially needed the seat on the lower setting to get the balls of both feet on the ground and feel secure (inside leg about 29"). The actual look of having the rider seat lower than the passenger one didn't do it for me visually, so thankfully I actually found that after about a week (nearly 700 miles) of allowing everything to settle etc. I was able to raise the seat to the higher/normal position. Now after nearly 4yrs the seat doesn't appear flattened in any way I can flat foot both feet no problem when stopped.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
There was a Mick on here who sold good quality dog bones in 25mm & 40mm lowering. Can't see sign of him lately, somebody will have a contact.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
Normal seat in low position.  I'm 5'6" and 29" inseam.  Yes I'm on tiptoes if I try to put both feet down and can happily get half of 1 foot down.  More than that I literally move 1" to the side on the seat. 
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
I purchased my lowering links from this company: https://www.projection-components.co.uk/. Give them a ring to discuss what you're trying to achieve. If you lower the rear suspension then you must also lower the front by raising the forks through the triple tree. Mind you that the side stand might be too long and needs to be shortened. The last issue is the center stand, if you have one, it will be more difficult to deploy it.

Chico

Offline bert4848

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800xrt
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »
Well all
Thanks very much for  replying you have all restored my hope in mankind ops! and womanekind  as well lol I do appreciate the advise, and am going to put up with the higher ride for now to see how the bike beds in my brother has the XRX low so i am going to try the low seat as well as a comparison and some thicker soles on my boots is another option .I don't fancy the lowering kits just yet but haven't ruled them out .

Cheers all
BAM

Offline Elmer J Fudd

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
Hi and welcome.

I usually ride with the seat in the high position and shuffle a little to the side if the ground is uneven, though once nearly went over as i had to stop quickly beside a pothole avoiding a dog, foot in and BRACE.... I prefer a straighter leg and every little helps.

The lower position is OK, but looks a little odd (though you can't see it sat on the bike, so who cares). If That is not low enough then look into one of the seat alteration folk, who can reduce the padding, but probably use a gel pad to compensate. other than that a pair of Emo / Goth boots.....

Mechanical lowering will end you back where you started and give issues with side and centre stands as well as peg scraping (though why not just add some spark generating blobs to your pegs and go for it).

Recent Topics