Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bars bent or optical illusion  (Read 726 times)

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2019
Bars bent or optical illusion
« on: July 26, 2019, 08:08:34 AM »
I have just picked up my 2019 XRT and the same as my 2018 XRT  the bars seem bent. The same optical illusion was on both bikes in that the left bar seems further forward than the right. If you look at it in relation to the tank then it is straight - if you look at it in relation to the front light support it is straight. But if you look at it in relation to the instruments it looks bent. Similarly if you look at just the instruments in relation to the support then that is straight as well. If you stand on the pegs and look at the front mudguard in relation to the frame and lights all looks straight but when you sit on the bike and look ahead at the road the bent effect comes back :) - this has been the case on both my 2018 series bikes - does anyone else notice this or is it just me ?  :001:

Online jeffa

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 cbr600
Re: Bars bent or optical illusion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:14:15 PM »
Should have gone to Specsavers  :001:

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
You are not alone :152: ... My 2013 Roadie has always looked like that from new ! ... Alignments all checkout so I have got used to the view by now ...  :031:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 01:04:49 PM by prenticemarie »
My My, How Time Flies ... 60 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2019 !

Online Lopez

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »
It also depends of the beers you drank.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
Loosen the bar clamps then tighten them evenly by doing each clamp a little at a time until they are tight similar to the way you do the wheel stud nuts up on a car wheel. Bars can get a touch bent (out of alignment really) if one clamp is done up tightly while the other one is loose.

Online applecorp

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:14:14 PM »
I noticed this on the 2018 XRT I just bought. When going in a straight line the bars look clearly skewed to the right, they are not parallel with the bottom of the display screen. I also noticed it on the 2019 XRT that I test rode. But it kind of looks in line with the tank.

I also had this on my MT09 Tracer, but I 'fixed' it by loosing the lower triple tree bolts and giving the handlebars a nudge. I presume it's the same process to fix on the Tiger?

Is this typical of how all dealers set up their new bikes, they really should test ride them after as it plays havoc with my OCD.

Or as the topic starter says, in this case is it just an optical illusion?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:20:35 PM by applecorp »

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2019
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 06:12:28 PM »
I haven't sorted mine yet due to time constraints but whilst riding pull the clutch cable that goes in front of the TFT back to the centre of the bars and the illusion goes away slightly ....more tequila needed I think  :492:

Offline Tiger2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »

I have a 20019 XRT and have the same problem I have been back to dealers and taking the front part off the TFT to try to  sort out it also messing with my OCD.
Now have a ram mount and mobile on the left side to hide it.

Offline dan2604

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
And I was thinking it was just me! I have exactly the same issue on my 2018 XRt. The bike has been back a couple of times to the dealer to get it rectified and while the bars are now just about straight the TFT screen appears at an angle. I have to say I don't think that it is any sort of an optical illusion - it's just not straight! As far as I am aware this is the first Thai built Triumph I have owned as I believe my launch model 800, and my Explorer were built at Hinckley. While the quality of components is, I feel, superior on my 2018 model, the quality control on the construction and preparation of the bike is much lower, something I will have to consider when it comes to buying my next bike. If it's any consolation I checked all the TFT screened Triumph bikes at last years NEC show and, to my eyes, they were all a bit 'wonky.'

Offline Paddler55

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
I've just taken delivery of a new xrt and immediately noticed that that TFT screen doesn't sit square to the centre line of the bike.  Sitting on the bike the right hand side of the screen is further away than the left hand side, in other words if looking down on a plan view of the bike, the screen is not at right angles to the centre line running through front and rear wheels.  Notified the dealer who looked at 2 other bikes they had in stock and said they were the same and must come from Triumph like that.  Dealer suggested there may be a reason why its like that.  I have contacted Triumph and have now had confirmation that the screen should be at right angles to the bike centreline and that I should raise the issue with the dealer who will raise a warranty claim with Triumph.

The TFT screen is fastened to a plate welded to a tube and it is quite clear that the plate has been welded on at an angle instead of being square to the centre line.  The headlight is part of the same unit and so it is also angled to the nearside.  Raises major questions about build quality, quality control, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Recent Topics