Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 XRX feels "flighty"  (Read 1837 times)

Offline hoggyf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 roadie
2016 XRX feels "flighty"
« on: July 27, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »
Changed my 2011 Roadie 3 weeks ago for a 2016 XRX and love the new bike apart from one thing, any lines or ridges in the road (over banding, white lines, grooves that follow your direction of travel etc) have the bike wobbling all over the place??
My GF noticed me wobbling on a ride out the other night when she was following, I thought it was just because its a different bike but its starting to annoy me, old bike was on Michelin Anakee 2's and I had just put another on the back before part ex'ing so had got used to the new tyre feeling a bit more darty than the older squared off version. The new bike has Metzeler Tourance Next on it, brand new back (I've done about 600miles on that) and a half worn front. The new bike only has 6k miles on it and everything feels fresh, just been serviced at a main dealers, only other thing that seems a little strange is its a long way back on the chain adjusters?
I ride off road a lot so used to a bike moving about underneath and I'm not usually very tyre critical (if its black and round it'll be fine lol ) but this has me feeling like a total noob so anyone got any advice?

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: 2016 XRX feels "flighty"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
Hi. Check posts on front tyre sizes. May solve your problem.
 :031:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »
Your issue is simple ..... check the 'Tyre' section ..... then you see that for most previous owners with those fitted (me included) they ditch the Tourance Next tyres straight away or as soon as worn out. They are renown for whitelining and also you will see that upgrading to a 110/80R radial tyre on the front (whatever tyres you opt for) changes handling for the better.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by hoggyf [+]
.... only other thing that seems a little strange is its a long way back on the chain adjusters?

Not sure if your 2011 was 122 links but your XRx is 124 links and the adjusters do sit far back .. even with a new chain.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24021.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »
I also have a '16 XRx with Tourance next tyres, feels fine to me, I ride it back to back with my Tiger Sport fitted with PR4's so if it was shoite I should notice.

Adjusters are as StevieP said. With 30mm of thread showing.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 11:11:21 AM »
Wack a 110/80 x 19 radial on the front and transform the bike.

Offline Bikerjimbob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xca
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Wack a 110/80 x 19 radial on the front and transform the bike.

+1 just fitted a 110/80 radial completely transformed the bike for the better

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by hoggyf [+]
Changed my 2011 Roadie 3 weeks ago for a 2016 XRX and love the new bike apart from one thing, any lines or ridges in the road (over banding, white lines, grooves that follow your direction of travel etc) have the bike wobbling all over the place??
My GF noticed me wobbling on a ride out the other night when she was following, I thought it was just because its a different bike but its starting to annoy me, old bike was on Michelin Anakee 2's and I had just put another on the back before part ex'ing so had got used to the new tyre feeling a bit more darty than the older squared off version. The new bike has Metzeler Tourance Next on it, brand new back (I've done about 600miles on that) and a half worn front. The new bike only has 6k miles on it and everything feels fresh, just been serviced at a main dealers, only other thing that seems a little strange is its a long way back on the chain adjusters?
I ride off road a lot so used to a bike moving about underneath and I'm not usually very tyre critical (if its black and round it'll be fine lol ) but this has me feeling like a total noob so anyone got any advice?

my 2018 XR has Next tyres and has similar effects as yours, although I wouldn't say it was bad, just annoying at times, rear feels fine, and I like the Next tyres otherwise, so i'll change my front for the 110/80 Next soon..

Offline planetpeckham

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Xrx
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »
Recently fitted Avon Trailriders (110/80 on front).
It's hard to credit what a beneficial effect they've had!

Offline hoggyf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
For sale, part worn set of Tourance Next, half used front and brand new rear - offers  :492:

Recent Topics