Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 XRX feels "flighty"  (Read 1836 times)

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
Re: 2016 XRX feels "flighty"
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 12:56:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by hoggyf [+]
For sale, part worn set of Tourance Next, half used front and brand new rear - offers  :492:

:008:

i'd keep the rear and try changing the front first, then you can tell me the difference...... :008:

Offline hoggyf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
I'm too tight to get rid of a set of tyres so I'll get some use out of them first, I'm going to the alps in a month so that will put a good few thousand on them, then I'll look at it after that. I'd love to put a 110/80 Tourance on the front to see the difference then change to Anakees again to see the difference in handling but I'm not going ot waste money like that.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by hoggyf [+]
I'm too tight to get rid of a set of tyres so I'll get some use out of them first, I'm going to the alps in a month so that will put a good few thousand on them, then I'll look at it after that. I'd love to put a 110/80 Tourance on the front to see the difference then change to Anakees again to see the difference in handling but I'm not going ot waste money like that.

same here, I don't want to waste a new front tyre, but am curious to find out how it changes with a 110/80, i'll probably keep it for rest of summer and change it for the winter....mine feels much more unsettling in the wet...

Offline petesear

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
For what it is worth...
I bought my XRT new and struggled with confidence in all conditions. She would shake her head and follow white lines, be very unpredictable in the wet and no fun at anything like speed.
I had heard that the standard tyres were to blame so I changed them to PR5s after 5k miles.
The change was amazing, no exaggeration, it was like a different bike.
There were a few moments on the standard tyres that I thought I'd made a mistake buying her, not now, the Tiger is easily the best all round bike I have ever owned.
When the time comes for you to change you will be very happy....

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
Reading some forum comments, I wonder how Triumph with Metzeler decided on Tourance next 100/90 tyre. Road testers from both will have been involved. The 100/90 & 110/80 are same price on Oponeo, see link. So nowt to do with accountants. Are they really a bad tyre unsuited to our bikes or just some riders prefer the radial 110/80. Look at any bike forum, tyre threads are like oil threads & opinions are like assoles. Or we can get the sheep syndrome.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/metzeler-tourance-next

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
yeah, tyres are an endless subject, and subjective.... :015: on my last bike everyone raved about PR4, so I tried them, the only tyre ive ever had to take straight back off.... :027: I couldn't stand the front end skittishness.....so now I tend to only believe my own experience, I think the Next 110/80 will be fine, the 100/90 oem just feels clumsy and stiff on patchy roads, but otherwise grip feels fine on smooth surfaces

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 01:15:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Reading some forum comments, I wonder how Triumph with Metzeler decided on Tourance next 100/90 tyre.

The Tiger is marketed as an all roads bike. The 100/90 cross ply tyre is less susceptible to sidewall damage and sidewall punctures than a radial tyre is so from the design intent of the bike point of view is better suited.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 01:22:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
yeah, tyres are an endless subject, and subjective.... :015: on my last bike everyone raved about PR4, so I tried them, the only tyre ive ever had to take straight back off.... :027: I couldn't stand the front end skittishness.....so now I tend to only believe my own experience, I think the Next 110/80 will be fine, the 100/90 oem just feels clumsy and stiff on patchy roads, but otherwise grip feels fine on smooth surfaces

Seriously look at the Avon Trailrider as already suggested, it is fantastic on the front of a Tiger.  They are tyres that fly way under the radar.
I have never been a fan of any Pirelli tyres (Metzelar are owned by Pirelli) on cars or motorcycles. Consistently when I have had them they either fail or a prone to punctures. The Next on the front of my XRX delaminated after only 12,000 km and I replaced it with a Trailrider that is still going strong with plenty of life left at 38,000 km.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 04:21:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I wonder how Triumph with Metzeler decided on Tourance next 100/90 tyre.
Maybe it was purposely done in order to give nit-pickers an easy target on which to focus some ire?
Some say Honda located the ignition switch on early Honda twins in the '60s for that purpose. Once the nit-pickers got that off their chest -- lousy/under-tank key location -- they could then go about praising the bike's virtues.  :191:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »
I have OEM Tourance next's on my new 2019 and I had the same on the previous 2018 - On a trip to the Pyranees I was scraping the pegs in the dry and got good lean in the wet. I do find they follow damaged tarmac as others have said but the grip is brilliant. My quandry with the new bike is whether to just change the front to a 110/80 but stay with the Tourance next's - that will cost me 100 - but will it make enough of a difference with "tramlining" - or - as I am not unhappy with them wait till they have higher mileage and spend 220 on a pair of my favourite's Michelin road 5's which I have on my S1000XR  hmmm :087: - has anyone just changed the front to a 110/80 Tourance ?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch