Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 tiger  (Read 4366 times)

Offline ProdigalJohn

• Tiger Pro
  • I wasn't born cynical - I've worked hard at it
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: 2020 tiger
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »
I've only put 9,000 miles on my 2011 800xc in the seven years I've owned it, so changing up to the new one wouldn't make sense. I can't see enough changes to the new one to justify a change even if I did pile on the miles; I'm just coming up to sixty six and retirement, so I maybe doing more miles, but I need less weight (and lower down please, Triumph) and a lower seat height. The 2020 one still looks Mighty Heighty to me! I'd be content with less weight with less power; if the motor was sleeved down, but the stroke was the same, it'd still be torquey enough, surely?

No, my tiger isn't perfect - BUT - I've just been away to Somerset (from St.Albans) for a short break, and the bike was just so good.
Squeezed down the M25 - bloody awful congestion, but filtered safely (ish, you can never relax with all those distracted car drivers changing lanes on a whim). Cruised down the M3, and ripped down the A303 (I am nervously watching the post for possible NIPs  :155:)
The only issues I had were nearly dropping the bike in car parks (at least twice) because it's top-heavy, especially with a top box and bag on the pillion seat.
I refuse to lower the bike, because I've put a centre stand on it (which I mildly resent having had to pay for - surely all bikes should come with one as standard?)

I was hoping that the new Speed Twin would be the ideal bike for me, but the tiny fuel capacity and lack of cruise control (even as an accessory - it's available on the T120 and T100 ! ) have well and truly put me off.
So, like others on here, it looks like I won't be spending my money with Triumph anytime soon. I strongly suspect that my Tiger has a good chance of outlasting its current owner too.  :002:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:03:27 PM by ProdigalJohn »
Suzuki T250j, HondaCG125, Yamaha XJ900f, Triumph Thunderbird 900, Triumph Trophy 1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Moto Guzzi Breva 1200, Yamaha 900 Diversion, Ducati 907ie, Kawasaki ZX6r, Tiger 800XC.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I hate to burst your bubble but I think reps at manufacturers undergo training to react that way to any question. Over the years ive had that response from within numerous manufacturers sanctums only to find that the coming product in some cases turned out to be a real dog. One car that was described in those exact terms turned out to be so badly received in the market it directly contributed to the withdrawal of a major Japanese company from manufacturing in this country.
When the bike arrives we will know its exact specs and the public will be able to assess its value or otherwise. Until then it is all speculation and rumour and should be treated as such.

you might be right in this particular case I think he was telling the truth because I was at same place the year before and another chap from Triumph mumbled something about a new Rocket being underway and that proofed to be true....
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
German "Motorrad" (biggest motorcycle Magazine in Germany) shows pictures of new mid-range Tiger ][https://www.motorradonline.de/enduro/triumph-tiger-erlkoenig-neuer-rahmen-neuer-motor/]
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
[email][/email]
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
German "Motorrad" (biggest motorcycle Magazine in Germany) shows pictures of new mid-range Tiger ][https://www.motorradonline.de/enduro/triumph-tiger-erlkoenig-neuer-rahmen-neuer-motor/]

Initial things I notice (for me) given the lack of close up pics:
+ separate rear subframe (though I don't believe it is a prominent damage issue as some claim)
+ separate rear footpeg brackets (yes ok)

- hate the front caliper carrier spindle combined look
- the extra dirt collecting holes in the swingarm
- the small/out of proportion odd looking headlights
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
I enjoyed this:

/>
I think I'll be up for one about a year after they come out, when the cheaper low-mileage second-hand ones are coming onto the market and the early adopters have found the faults.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2019, 07:54:00 AM »
I don't think it will be of interest to me from the basic pictures,  I think that back end belongs on a dirt bike / proper offroader. It looks stupid bent up in the air like that, like its broken in the middle. If they flatten it out like a road version then maybe it will look more appealing to my eyes. I think the current version is far nicer looking but of course that's not necessarily the finished item... Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that  :002:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2019, 08:35:08 AM »
Looks great, decent brakes at long last brilliant, & bolt on footrest hangers that should snap off in a drop rather than bend the frame & scrap the bike.

As said before, the ass end looks a long way up, hope that aint screwed up the C of G or made it worse. Each to their own on that. We all use our bikes for different things. Mine is used for lugging 3 boxes of luggage around Europe in comfort.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch