Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar shake at 50mph  (Read 1087 times)

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
Handlebar shake at 50mph
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:41 PM »
My 2019 shakes the bars at between 45 & 55 mph - I have just had it's first service and they re-balanced the front wheel and as far as Triumph were concerned everything else was fine...but it still does it. It does not get into a tank slapper but is really annoying. Best way to induce it is to do 60mph then let go of the bars and as it slows to 50 they start to shake and then stop shaking around 40- 45 (they still do a tiny bit but nothing like as bad) If you hit cruise control / hold at 50 then they just shake all the time.

I have checked tyre pressures 36psi front 42psi rear - (If anyone is running different pressures I would like to know)
Over the 500 mile running in period I have increased and then decreased damping and compression settings at both ends in incremental steps which didn't make a difference. My 2018 had standard factory suspension settings and no shake so that is where I have it at the moment, It has the stock screen and no luggage.

Anyone any ideas or similar issue in the past ? I am hoping it is a duff tyre maybe ? ...My local Triumph dealer are really good and will take it back and look at it again I am sure , but is there anything obvious that springs to mind before I go that route - I always like to try and fix simple issues myself if poss for the knowledge and peace of mind ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:34:41 PM by markymark11 »

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:04:57 PM »
Ive just taken delivery of a 2019 XRT in the same colour but only put 350 miles on it since collection last week. By comparison, mine is super smooth with no shaking of the bars. I was wondering if yours has done this since you first took delivery or if it has developed as you increased the miles. I would expect that your dealer and Triumph should be able to resolve this issue for you even if it means replacing the wheel and tyre. Please let us know the outcome and good luck with getting it sorted.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:51:40 PM »
First up, eliminate any aerodynamic cause, particularly a big top box or asymmetrical pannier setup.

The most common cause of front end shake is either too loose or too tight headstem bearings. Ask the mechanic to test that.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:02 AM »
ADV tyres are also renowned for causing head shake under deceleration but generally at lower speeds.
I'd be inclined to go with Chucks suggestions first but if they don't work have a good look at the front tyre wear pattern and pressure.

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
I had t laugh reading you post . My triumph started doing the same thing , every time I let go of bars at 40-50 mph it started shaking badly last month  . I knew what it was fairly quickly . The front tire , when my triumph did it last month I was going to replace the tire , but I kept riding it and it never got worse , ( the tire has less then 2000 miles ) it is a cupping problem uneven tread wear on my triumph .  I was running 30 psi ( to low ) now I have 36 in it and i still riding it . It only feels bad at around 45 so Im going to get a few more miles on before replacing it ( its a pirelli night dragon tire. 21 inch ) i do have a new tire already but I not installing it yet . I have felt it before when the tire tread is uneven . My Bmw F700gs did it a few years ago and the tire was wearing very abnormally. The tire was going out of round , like under the tread a belt was coming apart . I replaced it. I could tell by running my hand over the tire slowly . That was different because it was a unsafe tire. Older tire with a lot of miles , and it might blow out. ( just remember tires can wear uneven in different ways ) and if its the front your bars will shake .

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:29 AM »
Could be the front tyre.
Triumph should never have put a  front bias ply tyre on the Tiger, I can only assume it was for budgetary reasons  :015:
I put a 110/80 Radial Tourance on and it's much better.
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »
Update - bike has now done 700 miles. I have replaced the front Tourance Next 100/90 with a Tourance Next 110/80 which was balanced again when fitted by a different company from the one that re-balanced the original.

I have checked the torque on all the front components I can think of...Top and bottom fork clamps 20nm, top yoke centre clamp 90nm, Main stem bearing castle nut 15nm, castle lock nut 40nm, handlebar clamps 36nm and 25nm  respectively. Front axle 65nm, pinch bolts 22nm, calipers 21nm .....tyre pressure F36psi  R42psi

.....and it still shakes at 50mph  :002:   

Triumph had it in, re-checked everything the same as me and have no idea what's wrong - "take it away and try it again" they said ...so this week I am going to start on the rear end in case it is being caused by that somehow. I have already changed every suspension setting I can think of over a 2 week period while running in and it can't be dialled out. I am deliberately not carrying luggage - the bike is as supplied brand new with 1 mile on it....the fun continues  :002:

Offline Lopez

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
Had the same shake in The Explorer. Never resolved...

Offline Bulldogfour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '17
Bikes previous: NSU Quickly moped; Honda C50; Honda 305 scrambler; Yamaha RD350 (x2); Suzuki GT380; Honda NX250; Harley Sportster 1200; Yamaha TDM900; Yamaha 1300 cruiser; Honda CB600F5 Hornet; FJR1300 (x2); Triumph Explorer.

Bikes now: Triumph Tiger 800XRT - one bike less than optimum!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
Not had that particular problem, but ditched the awful weaving and line following Tourance tyres for Michelin R5 Trails and everythings rock solid, even over the gouges in the road from scraping up tarmac to resurface a roundabout  :028:

First check the tyre pressures  :016:
Now available in "Batman"

Recent Topics