Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar shake at 50mph  (Read 1287 times)

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »
To be fair to it the new Tourance in 110/80 is much better with almost no tramlining at all. No idea why Triumph don't just go with it as standard  :002: - yep tyre pressures are kept spot on. strange one this I have had it on a previous bike and it is always tyre related / balancing etc but this is the second tyre in 700 miles. I have had a straight edge on the wheel rim and spun it up and it runs true.

In 2018 I bought the same bike from the same dealer set up by the same mechanic and it was perfect (until it got written off  :006:) So I know it should be OK... can't quite figure this one out.

Bulldogfour - thanks for that ..mine is not that bad...  lol   I had a Suzuki GT750 "kettle" like the one in the video back in early 80's and that was un-rideable anywhere above 80mph - made me smile  :001:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:09:05 PM by markymark11 »

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 07:07:48 PM »
Sorry for your headache . It is possible also , that the rear tire is causing it . A good repair shop may be able to find it. Get them to recognise the problem .with a test ride . And if they can agree and they see the shake . hopefully they will Chase down the cause
We I ran a auto  repair shop . It was more about making my customers happy and being able to fix anything . If you find a good wrench that will go after it  .a friend had a 1 year old 1200 explorer and it was steering head bearings or triple clamp bearings causing his front end to shake .

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
I am going to look at the rear end this week  :007: and maybe get the rear tyre re-balanced as well. I can't believe that it could come from the factory with a frame / geometery fault so presumably it must be cureable with some kind of adjustment.  :002:  At the end of the day I can always dump it on Triumph's doorstep but for peace of mind I would like to solve the puzzle.

I'm going to start a new post on this at some point but if anyone knows where to fit a steering damper (just in case it comes to it) or a good one to fit - I would like to know ?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:00:01 PM by markymark11 »

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
To be fair to it the new Tourance in 110/80 is much better with almost no tramlining at all. No idea why Triumph don't just go with it as standard  :002: -

The wider, lower profile seems better matched to the rear, looking at them in the tyre fitter's last weekend and the Anakee looks like an even better match  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
Sounds dangerous. Tell the dealer to fix it or replace it. Shouldn't be your problem, you're a customer not a field test engineer.

My XRx came with the Tourance Next, they've now done over 10k miles & still good, I have no problem with them.

Had a problem with my Sprint back in '94, front wheel out of alignment but the symptoms totally different to yours, mine was like warped discs, dealer kept replacing discs, 5 times. Triumph replaced the wheel, discs & pads complete after I clocked the run out dimensions. Customer service was excellent back then.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
Yes the rear can do it. When I ran a auto shop I had cars with 1 bad rear tire , it would push the whole front of the car around  . michelin anakee is a great tire I put on pirelli road tire in my bike because I thought they would be better , because I do all street riding , I'm going back to michelin anakee  because they are such a great tire.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 05:35:42 AM »
markymark11,has anyone to you knowledge done a serious wheel alignment check?

Chico

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 07:27:25 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, "Chico" - no not yet thanks for mentioning it I had forgotten to do that - I hope a brand new bike will be "straight" - I will check it this week.

It is provisionally booked to go back to Triumph next week but the bars only shake by about and inch at each end now so it is pretty nearly OK. All the adjustments and re-torquing I have done have helped incrementally so I think it was just badly set up by Triumph and a bit sensitive to small things ...like having an Italian girlfriend  :002: ...not one single thing.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
Could be the front tyre.
Triumph should never have put a  front bias ply tyre on the Tiger, I can only assume it was for budgetary reasons  :015:
You could be right?
I checked the price at one of my usual tire sellers and for Avon TrailRiders there was $20 USD difference between 100/90/19, bias, and 110/80/19, radial, (with the latter the more expensive).
You'd think, tho, for the thousands of $$$ the bikes cost and just about everyone on this forum decrying the 100/90? -- the few bucks more for the tire everyone seems to want wouldn't've been a deal breaker for The Factory?
Maybe it's something else..?  :191:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
You could be right?
I checked the price at one of my usual tire sellers and for Avon TrailRiders there was $20 USD difference between 100/90/19, bias, and 110/80/19, radial, (with the latter the more expensive).
You'd think, tho, for the thousands of $$$ the bikes cost and just about everyone on this forum decrying the 100/90? -- the few bucks more for the tire everyone seems to want wouldn't've been a deal breaker for The Factory?
Maybe it's something else..?  :191:

The difference in cost for Triumph wouldn't be nearly close to the difference you found at retail for a single tire. Triumph would be purchasing in bulk and large numbers so the diff would be almost inconsequential. As you stated there must be another reason. there are some BMW models that also come from the factory with non radial tires. It might be a mystery to us but there is a reason.

Chico

Recent Topics

winded-staunch