Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar shake at 50mph  (Read 4051 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dirtbag

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 101
  • I don't know why ,but I love my tiger
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
  • Location: San Jose CA usa
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
You could be right?
I checked the price at one of my usual tire sellers and for Avon TrailRiders there was $20 USD difference between 100/90/19, bias, and 110/80/19, radial, (with the latter the more expensive).
You'd think, tho, for the thousands of $$$ the bikes cost and just about everyone on this forum decrying the 100/90? -- the few bucks more for the tire everyone seems to want wouldn't've been a deal breaker for The Factory?
Maybe it's something else..?  :191:
Glad you go to the point you can live with , my cupping front tire still shakes but as long as I don't trip on it it's fine.

Offline AvgBear

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2914
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
  • Location: Missouri USA
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dirtbag [+]
Glad you go to the point you can live with , my cupping front tire still shakes but as long as I don't trip on it it's fine.
Front tire treads have been cupping (more or less) for a long, long, time.
As to whether Triumph goofed-up by putting the 100/90/19, bias, on the front of the T800 v/s the (much preferred by many on this forum) 110/80/19, radial -- well, someone's right (and, someone's wrong).
If it's not about money/profit (as some posters have discussed)?, then it may be a design decision?
Then that leads to the dilemma of whether motorcycles should be designed by "Focus Groups" or by the engineers at the factory?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline markymark11

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 117
  • Bike: 800
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
I don't know much about these things but when I changed from the OEM 100 bias to the 110 radial the bike steered a lot faster and dropped into bends quicker and felt softer. 

Maybe someone can clarify - is the OEM 100 a"harder" tyre, a bit thinner and more suited to the occasional off road venture. The XR range is a road bike but maybe they still wanted to supply a tyre that had some off road ability and thought the 100 was the best compromise...?

The XC of course has off road focused tyres.

Offline AvgBear

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2914
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
  • Location: Missouri USA
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
...when I changed from the OEM 100 bias to the 110 radial the bike steered a lot faster and dropped into bends quicker and felt softer.
And maybe those are the sensations that many on the forum are seeking?
Instead of an "all rounder" (as Triumph might've designed the XR to be?) buyers want more of a "sport/roadster"?  :187:   

*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
The XR range is a road bike but maybe they still wanted to supply a tyre that had some off road ability and thought the 100 was the best compromise...?
Well, by definition, an all-rounder is a compromise.
Perhaps?, Triumph felt (and, apparently, still feels) the 100/90, bias, contributed more to the "all rounder" experience?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline walt

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Location: Northumberland
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
And maybe those are the sensations that many on the forum are seeking?
Instead of an "all rounder" (as Triumph might've designed the XR to be?) buyers want more of a "sport/roadster"?  :187:   
Well, by definition, an all-rounder is a compromise.
Perhaps?, Triumph felt (and, apparently, still feels) the 100/90, bias, contributed more to the "all rounder" experience?  :187:



my 2p worth
thinking about this,  i'm not sure the 100 contributes to the "all rounder" much, to me it feels a bit harsh/wooden/clumsy, with poor feedback.....on the small amount of off road ive done, it gives the same feel as on road, feels a bit like its over inflated, so when i change to the 110 i'm hoping for a bit more sensitivity/suppleness overall, i suppose this could be seen as more sporty, but sensitivity is needed off road too....i read somewhere that the 100 was fitted because its more puncture resistant and had stiffer sidewalls, don't know if thats true... :027:

Offline RoyHobbs

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Bike: 18 XRT
  • Location: TN USA
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 01:59:12 AM »
Did you ever get it sorted out?  I have a 18 XRT with same symptom. 

Thx

Offline Linc

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
  • Location: Montague NJ
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:43 PM »
Hello all My first post here, I have the same problem with my 2018 800 XCA. I have had 3 sets of tires on the bike and just had the dealer replace the rear rim because it was bumping up and down. This was with the stock tires on. Strangely enough still happening. At the moment I have Michlin Anakee 70/30 tireson brand new. With the brand new rim. I have been running my top box and it seems to be a little more pronounced when the wife is on the back of the bike. Its annoying as hell. And the dealers tech says he does not feel it when test riding. Not something I would NOT expect from such a great bike..

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 595
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Linc [+]
Hello all My first post here, I have the same problem with my 2018 800 XCA. I have had 3 sets of tires on the bike and just had the dealer replace the rear rim because it was bumping up and down. This was with the stock tires on. Strangely enough still happening. At the moment I have Michlin Anakee 70/30 tireson brand new. With the brand new rim. I have been running my top box and it seems to be a little more pronounced when the wife is on the back of the bike. Its annoying as hell. And the dealers tech says he does not feel it when test riding. Not something I would NOT expect from such a great bike..

These issue usually come from the chassis level being wrong, because rear preload settings are too low,
I'm 74Kg without gear and measuring rear sag, I need to set preload at 22 clicks, when the manual tells
you solo riding is 5 clicks for the XRT.
So you see the shock is unfortunately undersprung, using the luggage then to load the bike, my math
told me that if my passenger exceeds 70Kg the shock isn't capable !

So try increasing preload to reach correct sag on your XCA, you might like the results !

TBH most modern bikes have undersprung rear shocks, my Africa twin was even worse, 40Kg of load was
enough to compromise chassis level and at high speeds, with max preload it was pretty awfull.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:08:33 PM by Djairouks »

Offline K1W1

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 4417
  • Bike: XRX
  • Location: SE Australia
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 12:33:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I'm 74Kg without gear and measuring rear sag, I need to set preload at 22 clicks,

Just for the sake of clarity it should be pointed out the XCA and XRT have completely different suspension systems with different brands of suspension fitted and different geometries.
The advice about settings should be taken as generic not specific.

Online 9w6vx

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 57
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2018
  • Location: BKI, Sabah, MY
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 07:06:12 AM »
Add on to Djairouks info who is on a XRT, I am on a 2018 XR.

The owners handbook for XR/XRX variant states standard rear preload is 30 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise (closed) for solo riding.

I weigh 91kgs without riding gear and to get the right sag, my personal preload setting is 10 clicks anti-clockwise from fully closed.
This cures my rear end which is sitting too low.

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch