Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar shake at 50mph  (Read 4102 times)

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by 9w6vx [+]
Add on to Djairouks info who is on a XRT, I am on a 2018 XR.

The owners handbook for XR/XRX variant states standard rear preload is 30 clicks anti-clockwise from fully clockwise (closed) for solo riding.

I weigh 91kgs without riding gear and to get the right sag, my personal preload setting is 10 clicks anti-clockwise from fully closed.
This cures my rear end which is sitting too low.

Sorry if I made it unclear as there's 36 max clicks, it means your 10 CCW are 27 CW so 5 more clicks than
me at 74Kg, which makes sense as you're heavier, I just find the preload is more logic being looked at from
clockwhise, as you add weight, you add clicks, you don't go to max and remove preload.

If the XRT is undersprung and manual settings aren't good, there is good chance the XCA suffers from the
same problem, that's why I pointed this out even if suspensions are different.

"Most headshake problems, especially with an application of sports/touring come from the rear shock.
It unloads the front as the back squats too far, and this causes headshake in most situations."
http://www.promecha.com.au/myths_misconceptions.htm#F

I know about this, as I said because on the Africa twin it was extremely apparent and like most owners, I
needed to upgrade the spring with a hyperpro that was stiffer, to have an acceptable range, the XRT is just
acceptable, not great but I can live with it for now as I'm a lightweight rider.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:26:02 AM by Djairouks »

Online daveboy1965

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »
Mine only did it with the top box on.. Have you got the sliding chassis fitted??

Offline Linc

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
Thanks for the info Im riding today without the box and I will check the pre-load. Good info.. I love this bike and Im getting very frustrated with the dealer and the lack of interest trying to get this issue resolved. Im checking the owners manual for the adjustment on my 800XCA

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 12:08:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Linc [+]
Thanks for the info Im riding today without the box and I will check the pre-load. Good info.. I love this bike and Im getting very frustrated with the dealer and the lack of interest trying to get this issue resolved. Im checking the owners manual for the adjustment on my 800XCA

Unfortunately you can't rely on the manual that was the point, because the manual gives broad
settings for a supposed rider weight. I'ts annoying but if you want the correct sag, you need to
measure the distance from wheel axle to a reference point near the saddle (on center stand), then
have someone look at this exact distance with you on the bike on the ground both feets on the pegs.

Rear shock travel is 215mm, the rule is you want rider sag to be around 30%, so the difference of
measurement on center stand, to you on the bike on the ground should roughly be 65mm lower,
you'll see that with manual settings, it might be around 80-90mm or something and that's a problem.

Hope this will resolve your issue and you'll have fun like all us other proud owners !

Offline Linc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Unfortunately you can't rely on the manual that was the point, because the manual gives broad
settings for a supposed rider weight. I'ts annoying but if you want the correct sag, you need to
measure the distance from wheel axle to a reference point near the saddle (on center stand), then
have someone look at this exact distance with you on the bike on the ground both feets on the pegs.

Rear shock travel is 215mm, the rule is you want rider sag to be around 30%, so the difference of
measurement on center stand, to you on the bike on the ground should roughly be 65mm lower,
you'll see that with manual settings, it might be around 80-90mm or something and that's a problem.

Hope this will resolve your issue and you'll have fun like all us other proud owners !

Thanks, I just went out in the garage and found the pre load adjuster. I am familiar with sag settings from all my years of motocross and harescramble racing. I didnt have the issue with my XCA early on with the stock tires or even when I went to the Mitas e07 tires. When I tried the michlin Anakee is when I really noticed the issue. I thought the tires were defective and sent them back.. Im sure at 3500 miles things break in. My rear rim was defeniatly odd around to the point that Triumph warrantied the wheel.

I will work on the suspension settings and repost.. As I said I love this bike and want to keep it for a long time..

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks, I just went out in the garage and found the pre load adjuster. I am familiar with sag settings from all my years of motocross and harescramble racing. I didnt have the issue with my XCA early on with the stock tires or even when I went to the Mitas e07 tires. When I tried the michlin Anakee is when I really noticed the issue. I thought the tires were defective and sent them back.. Im sure at 3500 miles things break in. My rear rim was defeniatly odd around to the point that Triumph warrantied the wheel.

I will work on the suspension settings and repost.. As I said I love this bike and want to keep it for a long time..

I also have these new anakee and took me 3 days of settings to get proper suspension, now they
feel pretty amazing, but you need to adjust everything.
There's no brand of motorcycles especially ADV, nowadays, that have good settings in the manual
from my own experience, so you need to measure it every time unfortunately.

Hopefully your shock is not defective, this is rare but sometimes happens, will look forward to your
feedback man !

Offline Linc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2020, 01:22:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I also have these new anakee and took me 3 days of settings to get proper suspension, now they
feel pretty amazing, but you need to adjust everything.
There's no brand of motorcycles especially ADV, nowadays, that have good settings in the manual
from my own experience, so you need to measure it every time unfortunately.

Hopefully your shock is not defective, this is rare but sometimes happens, will look forward to your
feedback man !
[/quote

That would be my luck!! LOL I did check the shock for leaks etc none found luckily the bike is still covered under warranty for another year. Thanks for all ur help. The tech at my dealership is pretty good but he can not feel the issue and that bothers me.

Offline Linc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2020, 12:59:33 AM »
So I took a solo ride yesterday no top box.. stock settings and it still does it. I checked the preload and my bike has a allen head no clicks when I turn it so I gave it a 3/4 turn and will ride it to work tomorrow. I never set the sag on this bike either so I will stop in at my dealer and have him give me a hand with it..

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:03:47 AM by Linc »

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
So I took a solo ride yesterday no top box.. stock settings and it still does it. I checked the preload and my bike has a allen head no clicks when I turn it so I gave it a 3/4 turn and will ride it to work tomorrow. I never set the sag on this bike either so I will stop in at my dealer and have him give me a hand with it..

Sorry for the clicks, the XRT has half turn clicks and the adjuster is different, because
full range is 36 clicks and manual says standard setting is 31 CCW from full.

For XCA it says normal setting is 9 turns CCW from fully screwed, I have no clue what
the full range of turns is, but imagine there's 15 and you're at 9, you then added 3/4,
it ain't going to do squat, if like on the XRT people need to make half as much turns
as the manual says.

Yes everyone should be setting the exact sag, because I didn't ask but, I'm 74Kg which
is in the light riders, I guess if you'd be 120Kg that's a huge difference.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:28:07 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Linc

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »
I weigh in at 227 lbs no gear.. the XCA has a screw to set the sag too. Im going to do that this weekend.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:40:43 AM by Linc »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch