Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar shake at 50mph  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Dirtbag

• Tiger Member
  • Your motorcycle is more important.
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
Re: Handlebar shake at 50mph
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
You could be right?
I checked the price at one of my usual tire sellers and for Avon TrailRiders there was $20 USD difference between 100/90/19, bias, and 110/80/19, radial, (with the latter the more expensive).
You'd think, tho, for the thousands of $$$ the bikes cost and just about everyone on this forum decrying the 100/90? -- the few bucks more for the tire everyone seems to want wouldn't've been a deal breaker for The Factory?
Maybe it's something else..?  :191:
Glad you go to the point you can live with , my cupping front tire still shakes but as long as I don't trip on it it's fine.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dirtbag [+]
Glad you go to the point you can live with , my cupping front tire still shakes but as long as I don't trip on it it's fine.
Front tire treads have been cupping (more or less) for a long, long, time.
As to whether Triumph goofed-up by putting the 100/90/19, bias, on the front of the T800 v/s the (much preferred by many on this forum) 110/80/19, radial -- well, someone's right (and, someone's wrong).
If it's not about money/profit (as some posters have discussed)?, then it may be a design decision?
Then that leads to the dilemma of whether motorcycles should be designed by "Focus Groups" or by the engineers at the factory?  :187:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline markymark11

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 07:24:59 AM »
I don't know much about these things but when I changed from the OEM 100 bias to the 110 radial the bike steered a lot faster and dropped into bends quicker and felt softer. 

Maybe someone can clarify - is the OEM 100 a"harder" tyre, a bit thinner and more suited to the occasional off road venture. The XR range is a road bike but maybe they still wanted to supply a tyre that had some off road ability and thought the 100 was the best compromise...?

The XC of course has off road focused tyres.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
...when I changed from the OEM 100 bias to the 110 radial the bike steered a lot faster and dropped into bends quicker and felt softer.
And maybe those are the sensations that many on the forum are seeking?
Instead of an "all rounder" (as Triumph might've designed the XR to be?) buyers want more of a "sport/roadster"?  :187:   

*Originally Posted by markymark11 [+]
The XR range is a road bike but maybe they still wanted to supply a tyre that had some off road ability and thought the 100 was the best compromise...?
Well, by definition, an all-rounder is a compromise.
Perhaps?, Triumph felt (and, apparently, still feels) the 100/90, bias, contributed more to the "all rounder" experience?  :187:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline walt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 06:52:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
And maybe those are the sensations that many on the forum are seeking?
Instead of an "all rounder" (as Triumph might've designed the XR to be?) buyers want more of a "sport/roadster"?  :187:   
Well, by definition, an all-rounder is a compromise.
Perhaps?, Triumph felt (and, apparently, still feels) the 100/90, bias, contributed more to the "all rounder" experience?  :187:

my 2p worth
thinking about this,  i'm not sure the 100 contributes to the "all rounder" much, to me it feels a bit harsh/wooden/clumsy, with poor feedback.....on the small amount of off road ive done, it gives the same feel as on road, feels a bit like its over inflated, so when i change to the 110 i'm hoping for a bit more sensitivity/suppleness overall, i suppose this could be seen as more sporty, but sensitivity is needed off road too....i read somewhere that the 100 was fitted because its more puncture resistant and had stiffer sidewalls, don't know if thats true... :027:

Offline RoyHobbs

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 18 XRT
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 01:59:12 AM »
Did you ever get it sorted out?  I have a 18 XRT with same symptom. 

Thx

Recent Topics

winded-staunch