Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service cost  (Read 4852 times)

Offline CB250G5

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
Re: Service cost
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 03:43:12 PM »
DIY
2015 Tiger 800 XRX, 1927 Scott Squirrel 2-speed, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250, Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
You need the skill to do the valve clearance check at 12000 and 24000.

Offline CB250G5

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by T-Rever [+]
You need the skill to do the valve clearance check at 12000 and 24000.

Just a set of feeler gauges and some spanners needed.

Takes a while, but not difficult. 
2015 Tiger 800 XRX, 1927 Scott Squirrel 2-speed, Yamaha RD350YPVS special, Yamaha TDR250, Yamaha SRX400 Super Single and a Voskhod 175

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by skinneroo [+]
MUDDYSUMP!  :020: :020: :020:

I contacted him a few days ago and he's not taking on any more work this year.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »
I'm sure it will go full circle. If Triumph want to keep people buying their bikes then something will have to change? I have serviced most of my other bikes and have undertaken a valve check on my Speedmaster which wasn't too difficult at all. The difference being the other bikes were a lot older, far from out of warranty and the parts are pretty reasonably priced. They were pretty much lacking in the technology side also. Basic mechanics and common sense stuff. If I drop a clanger on an old smoker then to me its no big deal bar pride and the put right cost but I don't want that hassle on a relatively new machine that should really have the book stamped to keep its resale value. Car and bike manufactures (and the EU!!) have made it so hard now for anyone to tinker or alter stuff on new machines. I watched a youtube vid on how reset the service light on my van (2015 citreon) and I honestly thought it was a joke video? Hold your foot on the accelerator pedal, then pump the brake pedal 7 times, then turn off for 60 seconds then turn on..i mean wtf but it was right.. I mean who at citreon made that up?? Slightly off topic I know but the principles are the same. I wonder whats going to happen when were forced to have speed limiters, apparently now by 2022?? Servicing over the life of the vehicle will end up costing more than the bike or car itself..

Offline diggerled

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Saralsam [+]
One of the reasons I've joined this forum is the chain rubbing strip, I read somewhere that some dealers change this at 6000mls & some at 12000. I've just fitted a new one at 12500miles. having done all but 3500 of those miles myself I know that it has been well lubricated, I found the original one had very little wear so would think 6000miles is a bit early. The new one is a slightly different design to the old one with a rubber insert on both the top & bottom section as opposed to just the top, anyone know why?
Welcome aboard! About the rubber insert: 2011-13 Tiger 800 owners often complained of a slapping noise coming from the chain / swing arm area. The claimed remedy was to add your own rubber insert fashioned from an old tyre tube.

Is 6000 miles too soon to replace the rubbing strip? I vote "Yes!". My 2012 800XC has 72,000 miles. I have replaced the strip once. That at 59,000 miles. I'll be the first to admit I went long on this but no harm done.
The replaced strip at 59k.

The picture shows both my 2012 swing arm (R) and my 2013 swing arm (L). The one on the right has about 13,000 miles on the rubbing strip. The left, about 8000. So, yes, I don't get anxious to replace them. Maybe an exception to the rule but I have had very good luck with all things chain related. FWIW: The swing arm does not have to be removed to replace the rubbing strip. The rear tire does.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:15:04 PM by diggerled »
You cannot win by making your neighbor lose.

Offline Jonthestrawb

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Honda nc700x
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 10:12:52 AM »
Hi all,  coming up to my 6000 mile 1st year service and shocked at local dealer price (jack lilley (380). Will try other dealers tomorrow near me, Essex, ashford etc but can anyone recommend a reasonable main or independent dealer in London or the south east?

Its on PCP so will have to get main dealer stamp for warranty etc.

Many thanks

Jon

Offline 1284rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonthestrawb [+]

Its on PCP so will have to get main dealer stamp for warranty etc.

I wonder if this may be a factor in dealer servicing costs being so ridiculously high?  It seems so many bikes are purchased on PCP now and having to get the 'dealer' service stamp is likely to be a requirement of the contract.  Perhaps this is what the dealers are out to exploit?

Or is that just me being cynical?

Offline Jonthestrawb

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Honda nc700x
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 12:38:25 PM »
No doubt youre right about that, thought I may get away with an interim service but Im covering 6000 miles a year and that service is more involved apparently!

Just wondered if theres much difference between dealers.

Offline nobsta

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »
Jack lilly were going to be my next choice for my 12k service but I've yet to get a quote. I live in Kent. Laguna were 399  for the 6k (wtf). I ended up at Rosners @ 360. Nothing extra needed doing on the bike. I may try destination in Washington and maybe the new dealer in North London for the 12k? I'll let you know my findings.
 Im sure things have changed at the dealers as I don't remember getting a separate option for a yearly service over the 6k or 12k. I was always told its yearly OR 6k/12K.. so at a yearly service the 6k service would be taken out even if you hadn't done 6k!  The new yearly option is cheaper as its probably just an oil change and look over? Adding this extra option of a cheaper yearly service is good for those that don't ride their bikes but the downside is the new increase in price in the 6k service. I have tried to get Triumph to tell me what extra servicing was now being done in the quoted 3.5 hours over the original 2 but they didn't reply to that. I was told it was the same price for all gen Tigers so nothing to do with updated models.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:05:28 PM by nobsta »

Recent Topics