Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch isn't releasing fully..  (Read 509 times)

Offline NeonOrb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2013 800XC
Clutch isn't releasing fully..
« on: August 13, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »
Hi all,
I'm only into my Tiger 800XC 5days and I already have an issue.
Let me begin..

Went down to see the farmer to ask if I could take a ride round the stubble field for a bit to try out my new to me (2013) Tiger. No problem.
So I ride around along the ruts, across the ruts, round & round, jobs a good'un. 15 mins of fun now time for a jet wash. Riding was mostly steady but I did raise a couple of rooster tails
Ride 6miles to jet wash, switch off and hose it down.
As I'm pulling away, the power didn't take me very far but up went the revs.
On inspection, I can still get the lever to fully travel, but there is very little spring to return it.
I can manually flick it back by the finger lever and also return it on the arm poking out the gear box at the other end of the cable.
Any idea's folks?
(thanks in advance)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:20:25 PM by NeonOrb »

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Clutch isn't releasing fully..
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
I may not fully understand  you description, but from what I read it seems you have a broken cable in the clutch cable assembly. Usually occurs at the exit of the clutch lever. If you pull the lever but see no movement at the other end on the engine, that is the problem. Buy another cable or get a temporary generic quick-repair  cable insert.
However, if you can move the clutch arm at the engine freely with your fingers, the problem is inside the clutch.
Let us know what you find.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:37:49 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
My reading is that when you pull the clutch lever in the clutch disengages but when you release the lever it stays disengaged (lots of revs no forward motion). To me that would rule out a broken cable but potentially the cable could be damaged and sticking. I think there is a little return spring on the lever at the top of the engine. Is that damaged or broken?

Offline NeonOrb

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 01:42:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
I may not fully understand  you description, but from what I read it seems you have a broken cable in the clutch cable assembly. Usually occurs at the exit of the clutch lever. If you pull the lever but see no movement at the other end on the engine, that is the problem. Buy another cable or get a temporary generic quick-repair  cable insert.
However, if you can move the clutch arm at the engine freely with your fingers, the problem is inside the clutch.
Let us know what you find.
Cable is intact.

Offline NeonOrb

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 01:50:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
My reading is that when you pull the clutch lever in the clutch disengages but when you release the lever it stays disengaged (lots of revs no forward motion). To me that would rule out a broken cable but potentially the cable could be damaged and sticking. I think there is a little return spring on the lever at the top of the engine. Is that damaged or broken?
Pretty much.. I do get the clutch engaging, but not fully. I have to push the lever forward with my fingers to get the clutch fully engaged.
Im hoping the
fault gremlins :173:and the
fixit fairy's  :107:get to work on it tonight in my garage so in the morning I don't have to  :156:
Im guessing if I wanted to dig deeper, that it is a wet clutch using the engines oil and side case removal would mean more than removing the side casing to get a better look at it.
Think il get some ACF-50 squirted down the cable guide from the lever end tomorrow if the aforementioned haven't sorted it already
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:54:05 AM by NeonOrb »

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 02:52:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the clutch cable is nylon lined and that lubricant inside the cable housing is not recommended. Somebody will confirm I'm sure.
Yes the clutch is wet and yes if you take the cover off with the bike vertical you will end up with a very slippery floor. If you have help and something to lie the bike onto some old car tyres for example you could try tying the bike down on its left side before taking the cover off rather than draining the oil.
The fact that it was working and then almost immediate was not working seems to me to point to failure of something rather than wear. I'm thinking a spring has broken somewhere.

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 03:00:30 AM »
Don't assume the cable is intact until you pull the inner cable out of the sheaf and inspect it. Very often they fray at the binding points and cause exes friction or jamming. Easy to check by loosening the adjuster knob, release it from the lever and arm at the engine, and pull it out. If it is ok, relube and clean sheaf.
From memory, bottom of  clutch cover is above sump oil so you don't have to drain it if you need to take the cover off.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

Offline NeonOrb

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »
Rode it today and no problems.. :047:

Strange occurrence that, and I'll bear it in mind a while.

Thanks for the replies  :031:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch