Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Had one, may be getting one  (Read 228 times)

Offline Tiger15

• Tiger Cub
Had one, may be getting one
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
Hello to all.  Bought new Tiger 800 XRX in Sept of 2015.  Rode the heck out of it until January of 16.  Then traded it in with 4000 miles on it for 15 TTSE.  I loved the Tiger but I didn't think it was enough bike for a cross country trip, which I ended up doing twice on the TTSE.  It had no major issues until six weeks ago when it was lost due to a careless driver.

Been thinking about riding again (should be fit enough in a few months) and considering the Triumph Tiger 800 or the Explorer.  So I joined this forum to get feedback, suggestions, comments, or direction to help me decide which way to go.  I'd also like to hear from members about any common maintenance issues.  Thanks.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Had one, may be getting one
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 03:54:59 PM »
Hi and :401:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Lopez

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '18 XCA
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:30:13 AM »
I move from Explorer to Tiger 800. Reasons:

- Enough power for long trips, even with luggage
- Less weight
- Better handling
- Better reliability

I'm absolutly happy with the change!

Offline Tiger15

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:25:18 AM »
Lopez

How was the handling better on the Tiger 800?  Was the Explorer top heavy and the Tiger 800 not?

Online Lopez

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:32:30 AM »
Explorer is a great bike. GREAT. Almost 40kg more. You have lots of torque, but you have to brake some meters before and be ready to the next turn. 800 turning just thinking about it.

I prefer less power... But less weight.

Offline Tiger15

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:37:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Any handling issues with loaded panniers on long trips?  What kind of mileage do you get from your tires?  I was able to get between 8k and 10k with Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's on my TTSE.

Online Lopez

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:24:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger15 [+]
Thanks for the feedback.  Any handling issues with loaded panniers on long trips?  What kind of mileage do you get from your tires?  I was able to get between 8k and 10k with Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's on my TTSE.

I had issues in my Explorer. Front wooble at high speed. Some tyres do, some don't. I was able to minimize it playing with tyre pressure. In don't have it in the 800.

About tyres, changed the 800 OEM tyres at 15000km.

In the Explorer, first change was at 10000km. Then moved to Heidenaus K60 or MotoZ Tractionator GPS, and I got about 25000km on it.

Offline Tiger15

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 01:13:40 PM »
Lopez

Thanks for the feedback.  It is very helpful.

J

Online Lopez

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:28:38 PM »
Don't take my figures about tyre comsuption as 'normal'.

I always get large tyre life... Maybe because I'm a hobbit, maybe because the way I drive...

Recent Topics