Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing rectifier  (Read 1634 times)

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Changing rectifier
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »
I am taking delivery of a Tiger which probably has a shot rectifier. Ive already gotten one from a breaker, as it was too good a deal to pass up. Anyway, are there any how-tos on the subject? Just wondering whether I need to take the whole thing apart, or whether I can get away with just loosening up the radiator to wriggle it in. ;)

(By the way, I did read up on the air filter change and it seems not much has changed since the steamer... It still is a heck of a lot of work.  :icon_lol:)
11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '94 Ducati 600 SuperSport

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Re: Changing rectifier
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:39:40 PM »
I got away with a lot of wriggling ! loosened off / removed the top bolts - some serious fiddling around but no major removal or draining.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:29:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by ghulst [+]
I am taking delivery of a Tiger which probably has a shot rectifier.
Just wondering whether I need to take the whole thing apart, or whether I can get away with just loosening up the radiator to wriggle it in. ;)

Hi and :401:

You haven't said what year or generation Tiger Gen 1 or Gen 2?

If Gen 2 (as I have done it) simply remove the lower plastic radiator panels below fuel tank, remove 1 radiator bottom fixing bolt and 1 top fixing bolt. Radiator can then gently be moved forward on the hoses and allow access to the RR.  :028:

I do have a series of pics I took for a 'How To' but like another 101 other things it is on my waiting to be done list.  :006:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:25 AM »
Mine is a gen 1 2012. Was much the same as Stevie.P Thought I managed to leave the bottom bolt in and got away with leaning the rad forward? Not quite sure now as I also had a radiator guard to remove. not a technical problem to do but very fiddly ! Good luck !

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by TigerNige [+]
Not quite sure now as I also had a radiator guard to remove.

I removed top and bottom bolts but didn't remove the (Triumph) radiator guard (and also have Triumph engine bars fitted). Hardest part I had was actually getting the 2 plugs off the RR before unbolting, even with a drowning of WD40. New RR pins and harness plugs were treated to a bit of electrical contact grease (Contralube 770).

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »
Ahhh........ Forgot that bit ! The plugs were a b***** pain ! probably because of the heat, and in my case the molten resin !

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Mine will be a Gen 1 11 model. I am pretty sure the rectifier is shot and as I have a replacement anyway, Ill just do that and a new battery to see if that solves the charging problem. If not, I can always go and measure some more. ;)

Thanks for your help. Plugs always are a *****. Im assuming these will have been in for a while. I do have some electrical spray, so I might put some one, just to be sure. And wiggle. Lots to wiggle. ;)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »
Mine will be a Gen 1 11 model. I am pretty sure the rectifier is shot and as I have a replacement anyway, Ill just do that and a new battery to see if that solves the charging problem. If not, I can always go and measure some more. ;)

Thanks for your help. Plugs always are a *****. Im assuming these will have been in for a while. I do have some electrical spray, so I might put some one, just to be sure. And wiggle. Lots to wiggle. ;)

Is the bike starting up? If so and you have a multimeter check the battery voltage with the engine off then with the engine running. If the RR is shot likely it will rectify the alternator output but have failed on the voltage regulation side. You want around 14v when running . not the 19.6v I had.  :005:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,22590.10.html

As for the plugs, purely such a tight dry interference fit on the plug to socket faces and only just getting your hand in there.

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
Oh, just in case I want to really go over the whole system... Can I measure the alternator without taking it out of the bike? Where can I find those plugs? I do have the workshop manual, but dont have the bike here yet. ;)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »
Oh, just in case I want to really go over the whole system... Can I measure the alternator without taking it out of the bike? Where can I find those plugs? I do have the workshop manual, but dont have the bike here yet. ;)

I don't know if there are easier connectors from the alternator that you can access to test it? But the ones needed to change the RR definitely need the radiator off its mounts for reasonable access.

(having found my pics I could do a 'how to' - though it isn't that common a failure based on posts here :027: )

Recent Topics