Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing rectifier  (Read 768 times)

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: Changing rectifier
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 10:49:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I don't know if there are easier connectors from the alternator that you can access to test it? But the ones needed to change the RR definitely need the radiator off its mounts for reasonable access.
Wow, that does seem tight.

Well, the good news is that the Tiger has arrived. The bad news is, that I am going to be gone for the weekend and there is a big week ahead, so there is no chance I can dig into this project soon...

Oh, I was reading the workshop manual and it actually wants you to measure all kinds of connectors between the rectifier and the battery to determine the state of the alternator. So that is going to be easy...  :164:
11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '94 Ducati 600 SuperSport

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »
With the radiator dropped off its mounts it isn't that bad.

IMO - I would:
1. Get the bike and use of a multimeter.
2. Check battery voltage and then see if the engine spins over and starts?
3. If doesn't spin engine charge battery fully and repeat 2.
4. If battery appears useless - renew (and fully charge - I never believe the 'ready to go' claims).
5. Repeat 2 (hopefully around 12v before starting engine).
6. If voltage rises on engine start to about 14v then rectifier appears good (unless intermittently failing).
7. If voltage goes over about 14.5v then probably RR gone on regulator side.
8. If voltage doesn't rise when engine running then could be RR gone on rectifier side or fault on alternator.

then depends on result of above what I would do next. :084:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
1. Get the bike and use of a multimeter.
Check.

2. Check battery voltage and then see if the engine spins over and starts?
Battery voltage right now is 12.4V and it starts. Previous owner started it at 13.21V and it started.

4. If battery appears useless - renew (and fully charge - I never believe the 'ready to go' claims).
It probably is useless now, so a new one is waiting and was fully charged by me. But haven't dropped that in yet.

8. If voltage doesn't rise when engine running then could be RR gone on rectifier side or fault on alternator.
So far, the engine started on 13.21V then dropped voltage on running to 12.2V, so it can still go both ways.

When I first went to check out the bike, it started and I took it for a quick ride to see whether everything was working well. It was, until I did an emergency stop. It braked great, then the bike just died and I wasn't able to start it anymore. The previous owner told me that it had been sitting for four weeks, but it had never done that before. (I do believe him.) We pulled the saddle and measured the battery at around 11V. Tried starting a couple of times, it fired up with a battery pack, but then pulled voltage in the battery down as it was running. So at some point it just stopped because of a lack of electricity.

I know, still a puzzle, so I am guessing I will pull the radiator, then start measuring all of the connections the way they state it in the workshop manual, just to see whether I can eliminate anything. A bad battery could cause all of this, but a bad rectifier could have caused the battery to cause all of this... And a bad alternator could be at the base of all this causing things to cause this.  :087:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 09:01:23 AM »
Definitely sounds like the bike isn't charging. I would slack off the radiator, swop the RR and retry the above. If the voltage still doesn't rise then you can unplug the RR and test your alternator there from the plugs.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 09:30:41 AM »
Yep, that was what I was thinking. Just swap the RR and see what that does. Then swap the battery if needed and try again. If it doesn't charge after that, go through all of the meticulous measuring stuff the manual suggests.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
Hi Ghulst... Told you this is a top site...

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Hi Ghulst... Told you this is a top site...
Yep! Thanks. Parked the 800XC in the garage on Thursday night, only to be confronted by a steamer for sale for pennies in the neighbourhood. But hey, I have an 800 now. ;)

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
So, here is another puzzle... The workshop manual says "Check the condition of fuse 11:-"... However, I have found 2 fuse banks, but they are both numbered to 6. Any thoughts?

Offline ghulst

• Tiger Member
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »
Ok, never mind. Replaced the rectifier by taking the radiator off its mounts and then wriggling around. Al is fine now.

Now on to mounting a top box. ;)

Offline TigerNige

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »
Glad you got it sorted !!!   :152:

Recent Topics