Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Selector Woes  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Bigcris0

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2012
Gear Selector Woes
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »
My 2012 tiger 800 11k miles is stuck in 1st gear. I was able to change down but not up on a recent ride. Was going from 3rd to 4th but it wouldn't and ended up stuck in 1st after failing to find neutral.

Clutch disengages normally , no horrible sounds prior to this happening and all the linkages are ok it just stuck in 1st.

Thought it was the spring or pin ( usual suspect ) but after stripping  out the clutch ( no issues noted there either ) everything was intact . I've changed the spring but noticed the pivot plate has some wear on the 'teeth'

Is this culprit? Or is it something very expensive that a trip to the dealers is needed.

Just need help / advice as I'm fed up now.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Gear Selector Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
Not easy to see on your photo, but the selector tooth does appear very worn. (One nearest paper towel). Have you tried to temporarily reassemble and shift while on centrestand to see if you can observe the movement?
The first step would be to try to rotate the shiftarm to make sure the forks in the gearbox are free to shift into each gear and N. Then you will know if the gear box is OK (which I think it is). Next focus you attention on the shifting mechanism to see whether the detent action is working, including the smaller fine spring which sets and holds the little detent wheel. Suspect the worn teeth.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:14:01 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline leew

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger Sport
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:43:10 PM »
Can't see on your photo, is the top tooth as worn? if not I would suspect the pivot plate as it'll change down but not up. The wear looks a bit strange anyway as it looks like it's only been catching the edge(I would expect a bigger witness mark).

Offline Bigcris0

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:04:31 PM »
Sorry about the crap photos, the teeth look worn where the would connect to the detent wheel . That looks intact , tried to show in a photo. Small spring also ok

I had no indication of things going wrong just trying to change up from 3rd to 4th it wouldnt happen but changed down easily to 2nd etc but each time became  stuck in that gear. After researching on forums assumed it was either the spring or pin but both are fine (replaced spring anyway) . Ive ordered a replacement plate at 20 thought its worth a go  just wondering if Ive missed something else.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:19:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by chuckxc [+]
Have you tried to temporarily reassemble and shift while on the centrestand to see if you can observe the movement??

While waiting for the part,   I would still be checking the gearbox action to make sure you can manually work your way through all the gears. Turning the rear wheel while shifting into each gear position should make it easier.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Chatham Ryder

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »
Hi I know this post is old but thank you. I have got the same problem, same symptoms too. Was told by others it would be the detent spring but it is fine, so looked further after seeing this post and yes my plate pivot and wheel detent are warn so have ordered the parts and hopefully be mobile soon. Again big thanks

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 03:43:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chatham Ryder [+]
Hi I know this post is old but thank you. I have got the same problem, same symptoms too. Was told by others it would be the detent spring but it is fine, so looked further after seeing this post and yes my plate pivot and wheel detent are warn so have ordered the parts and hopefully be mobile soon. Again big thanks

You will find the selector, and detent wheel have been upgraded

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27023.20.html

See post 25

Offline Chatham Ryder

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, I didnt realise it was upgraded just thought the kit must come with the plate pivot, wheel detent, spring and washers/spacers as it didnt say what was in it but I did order it.

Recent Topics