Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: O2 oxygen sensor ARGGHGHGH what a pita  (Read 427 times)

Offline Swanee

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
O2 oxygen sensor ARGGHGHGH what a pita
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »
Greetings all - a little help appreciated here from someone who does not have a lot of tools or motorbike knowledge.  Bought a new O2 sensor from here: https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/142796013 and today dove in to replace the old sensor on my Tiger.

My question: How on gods green earth do you get this plate off (see pic) ?!?  :157: The bolt closest to the exhaust looks seems like it won't be able to be removed due to the proximity to the exhaust itself.

If it does come off, what kind of tool gets in there?  I used a spanner to widge it one 1/4 turn at a time, don't even ask how long that took.  :087: Now it needs a bit more elbow grease and there simply is not room (and when I do get it off, how the f to get it back on without spending 3/4 of a day on it?!?).

If I can remove the old O2 sensor without removing this plate please do tell - but again, there is no room to do so as it stands.

TIA for any advice.

PS, yes I know putting O2 oxygen in the post title is redundant, but it may help others searching for the same issue.  :002:

Offline Swanee

• Tiger Member
Re: O2 oxygen sensor ARGGHGHGH what a pita
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:25:35 PM »
Just to update:  Gave up and took the bike to my mechanic, who had a tool (of course he did) that could reach in to remove the O2 sensor and replace without removing the black plate. Bike is quite a bit smoother, if that's possible, or is it all in my head..??

Also, the part from Mechanics Surplus is NOT an exact match, FWIW... slightly different.  It still fit, and hopefully the bike won't start throwing a code again.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 01:28:20 AM »
If it were me and I had renewed the O2 sensor I would also do the old '3 minute adaptive settings reset' procedure.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online ColinXCX

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
Stevie.P could you explain the 3minute adaptive procedure.
Thanks....

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
First I need to correct the above which was off the top of my head, it is the '12 minute adaptive reset'.

The ECU monitors certain sensors and starting from a factory base setting can adjust these stored parameters (within some operating limits presumably) based on the actual riding. If you change something, commonly an exhaust silencer for example, it can be beneficial to rest the ECU back to factory level and allow the system to re-adapt as the changed component may give differing results.
To do this, as I did on my Street Triple after fitting an SC Projects Conic exhaust, is (best with bike on centre stand if you have one) with a cold engine start the bike with the starter button only (and initially clutch in to allow starting) without touching the throttle. Once running you then have to wait for it to get hot enough for the radiator fan to cut in. Once the fan cuts in you time it for 12 minutes then switch off. I haven't needed to do it on my Tiger but on the ST I reckon it took about 15 minutes before the fan eventually cut in and then cycles on and off quite a bit over the following 12 minutes. Does seem to allow the bike to get very warm before the fan cuts in and even with the bike sat stationary and only idling it was impossible to hear the fan cut in (on the ST, don't know about the Tiger fan), I had to keep taking a look at the blades to see when it started rotating. But you must leave the throttle alone during the whole procedure.  :028:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »
Looked back at this on the ST forum and have attached the follow up post of my exhaust change which at the time caused the bike to incur a small surging at 3500rpm.

*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Found myself covering the late shift this week, 11:20 to 21:00, just 2 of us as this covers the gap between al the dayshift guys finishing around 5 and the nightshift starting at 9. Anyway, once everyone was gone gave the bike a wash, went and had my tea then decided to forfeit a nap and take the opportunity to do the 12 minute tune. Started to wonder if the bike was ever going to bring the fan in, but after 15 minutes it finally cut in. Left it for 15 minutes with the fan cutting in and out then switched it off for an hour before home time.
On the (7 mile) ride home I deliberately tested each gear at around 3500rpm and in all gears there was no sign of the previous surging. Just wish I had done this as soon as I swopped the exhaust can. I'll try to remember to monitor it now to see if I notice any change as the adaptive bits re-adjust.

Offline Swanee

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Stevie - thanks for this!! Appreciate it!  :028:

Online ColinXCX

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »
Thanks Stevie, I did know about the 12minute reset but for some reason I thought it was 20mins, but the 3minute was a new one. Makes sense now :152:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
:028: I was going to wait to see if someone (there usually is  :164: ) posted that this was a 'myth' but in case anyone is unsure hopefully this is readable (upscaling the resolution size made it worse)

Recent Topics

winded-staunch