Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork Oil - Another one  (Read 297 times)

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2011
Fork Oil - Another one
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
Just spent ages going through the other fork oil threads. I'm more than a bit baffled. I get the drift that the weight isn't always an accurate measure of the thickness as we think of it. However, looking at the lists of 'real' viscosities inc' at different temps' there seems to be so little relationship between the stated weight and viscosity you wonder why they state the weight at all. What's the point? The viscosities vary hugely.

I've just removed the forks and emptied the legs. Like others I think it's too hard as is and I want a bit softer. I'm not looking for miracles. I haven't a clue what was in there but I'll assume it was the recommended oil.

So, recommend me an easily obtainable fork oil.  I'm thinking a 7.5W oil.

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Fork Oil - Another one
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »
I put in Rock Oil SVI 7.5 and was quite happy with the result

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 10:18:21 PM »
Yeah, I think I'll just go for a 7.5 and chuck it in and see how it goes.  I know there's a bit of 'suck it and see' to doing this.

What did you have in the forks before?

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 11:13:50 PM »
I would suggest whatever weight you try look for a brand that also has the weight either side that way if you decide to go up or down a grade you know it will be, as sods law says a grade change in another make won't relate.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
good point

Recent Topics