Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can't change gear because of.....  (Read 3098 times)

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Can't change gear because of.....
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »
First of all it was the broken spring.
Then the spring was upgraded and the selector then the detent arm broke.
Now it is premature wear on the pivot plate.

I first saw the issue in this thread

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,26811.0.html

When pulling my 2016 XRX apart to see why it was not changing gear the wear on the plate and the detent wheel were obvious. Pushing the plate in while operating the gear lever resulted in fault free gear changes but unfortunately that is not possible with the engine running.

The parts that we are replacing are part 13 in this diagram. The inner side of the pivot plate edges have worn so they do not engage the detent wheel fully.

and part 5 in this one

It is probably not necessary to replace part 5 but it is showing wear so I am not going to stuff around and only have to do it later anyway.

My daughters boyfriend (a trained Triumph mechanic who works for the Australian Triumph importer) said as soon as he saw it.

"Classic Triumph gearbox issue"

BTW: just to put something to rest right up front. I do not ride with my toe resting on the gear lever.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Can't change gear because of.....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:27:04 AM »
Nice succinct fault diagnosis and plan of action.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
That is not good at all.  Have you considered contacting Triumph, I know it out of warranty but should not have failed at such a low km and young age.
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
I wonder if FazerPhil has had any gearbox problems, he must be coming up to 180,000 miles on his. He's only mentioned a starter failing. Phil, if you're looking in, any g/b probs?

One of my pals had 8 gearboxes in his Explorer, then a new frame 'cos the paint fell off it.  :157:
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bladerunner99 [+]
That is not good at all.  Have you considered contacting Triumph, I know it out of warranty but should not have failed at such a low km and young age.

Cant be bothered to be honest. It is not going to cost me much for the repair and the agro with dealing with Triumph Australia is not worth it in this case. This post is more for info for others in case anybody else wants to argue their point, and I think it is a valid one there is a manufacturing defect here.

Online philmcglass

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Would be interesting to see pics of old and new parts.
Find the Line

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 11:22:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by philmcglass [+]
Would be interesting to see pics of old and new parts.

I will get some pics once I get the new parts and can have new and old side by side.

Offline Bladerunner99

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCA
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Cant be bothered to be honest. It is not going to cost me much for the repair and the agro with dealing with Triumph Australia is not worth it in this case. This post is more for info for others in case anybody else wants to argue their point, and I think it is a valid one there is a manufacturing defect here.

Fair comment K1W1, I can see your point, hope it all goes well for you and many thanks for sharing with us all.

This however has me concerned that this may be something I encounter as I approach a similar mileage, even more concerning, is that any replacement parts will be of the same crap quality materials and liable to the same fate in time... Not Good Enough Triumph!!!

I now know why the gearbox is so silky smooth, the components are made from Butter!!! :110:
Ride to work. Work to ride

Offline SOHUTAA

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Xcx
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
I will get some pics once I get the new parts and can have new and old side by side.

either I read it wrong, but I did not read the mileage of your bike.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
39,000 km or 24,000 miles
April 2016 new.

It will be interesting to see if any others have this issue. That is two on the forum in fairly quick succession. It could simply be a batch that had slightly less hardened metal or something.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch