Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can't change gear because of.....  (Read 2714 times)

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Can't change gear because of.....
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 06:40:11 AM »
Photos as requested.

New part

Faulty part

New part

Old part
I won't call this part faulty as it only had very minor wear that you could feel with your finger but as it was so cheap I decided to replace it anyway rather than put the thing back together and find that it needed replacing now or in the near future.

and for those who still labour under the impression that Triumphs are a product manufactured in a factory somewhere in the UK.

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800 Roadie
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 09:39:58 AM »
Interesting thread, but I really doubt this is a major and common problem as this is the first post ever on this forum regarding this particular gear box failure. Compared to the numerous posts concerning the gear shaft spring or the pin this is indeed a "cold" and not an endemic as someone here said already. Just trying to make this point and if I were in K1W1's shoes I'd be seriously p*ssed and angry.

As to Taiwan: hmmm that's new to me we all know about the Triumph plants in Taiwan but given that we live in a global world (and whatever Greta says: this will not change) it is no wonder that the parts come from all over the world.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 09:48:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
As to Taiwan: hmmm that's new to me we all know about the Triumph plants in Taiwan but given that we live in a global world (and whatever Greta says: this will not change) it is no wonder that the parts come from all over the world.

The Triumph plants are in Thailand not Taiwan.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
Interesting thread, but I really doubt this is a major and common problem as this is the first post ever on this forum regarding this particular gear box failure.

If you read the first post of the thread you will see I referenced a previous thread on this forum a couple of weeks ago where the same failure occurred. It may or may not be the harbinger of more posts but keep in mind that all failures of any sort start with a single occurrence.
The point of this thread is to provide information to others in the future if they experience a similar problem.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
Doesn't seem much wear at all really. Just goes to show the tolerances on modern engines are so much tighter than say even 20 years ago.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 05:03:35 PM »
Wondering if spring #14 in 1st post is of sufficient tension?
Shimming under washer #15 may help contact/shifting (or not)?
(small parts are cheap...)
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
Went for a short ride today, about 120km to check things out. Everything okay with no change in shift feel.
Wishful thinking perhaps but I think at the moment at least there is a far smaller clunk changing from N to 1 than there used to be.

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xrt
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done K1W1.

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
The Triumph plants are in Thailand not Taiwan.

correct typo on my side

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Master
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
If you read the first post of the thread you will see I referenced a previous thread on this forum a couple of weeks ago where the same failure occurred. It may or may not be the harbinger of more posts but keep in mind that all failures of any sort start with a single occurrence.
The point of this thread is to provide information to others in the future if they experience a similar problem.

overlooked that, you are right.
What puzzles me is that your bike and the one in that thread do have relative low mileage and there thousands out there with considerable higher mileage and no problem of that sort.

Recent Topics