Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why did you buy a tiger instead of a different brand ?  (Read 942 times)

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
Re: Why did you buy a tiger instead of a different brand ?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 02:42:51 AM »
Had a 1050 years ago.   Went to a Super Tenere-loved it, but after a hip replacement wasnt comfortable at low speeds anymore.   Bought a new Bonnie to replace the ST.   Great bike but didnt just work for me and my riding style.  Stumbled onto a holdover 18 XRT, test rode it and brought it home.  Love it!

Online geordielad

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 09:39:30 AM »
Similar reasons to OP except that I was on my 3rd RT.

Quality was not as good in the later years as it was especially with the water based paints and there were quite a few issues with switchgear (all changed under warranty I have to add).
In their favour, you are looked after very well by the dealerships and although I first thought that BMW ownership was expensive, it wasn't any worse than the other marques really - have you seen what they charge for Triumph servicing  :156:

Main reason for change though was the weight of the beast (not when moving, but only at rest).

Anyway, I am very happy with my XRT now that I have the screen and Sat Nav sorted, but I still miss a bit of the weather protection of the RT - it's all a trade off.
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Offline Wal_T

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: White 2019 XRX
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »
Good question. Mostly relates to my increasing riding experience I think. Like a lot of old farts I had ridden a few bikes as a young fella and then bought a Harley later in life. It lasted a few years but then after riding wifey's Thunderbird 1600 a few times I saw the light and got myself a Storm. Compared to the Fat Bob it went faster, stopped better, cornered better. The only thing the Harley beat it at was being more more comfortable.

Had the Storm for a few years but it was just too much mass to let me ride my natural ride, I wanted more suppleness and sport, without going hard out on a rice burner. Practicality was important, I needed something with panniers and optional top gear for those weekends away. Nothing too heavy, I'm average height and weight at most.

I took a BMW R1200RT a few thousand km around the Balkans years ago and although it was fine on the open road, at low speeds when loaded with luggage that is a very heavy and very tall C of G, not something I could live with as a daily driver at all.

Looked at the Honda Africa Twin - too tall, easy to discount. Also ugly IMO.

Looked closely at the BMW F800GS but it was too off-road focussed, and I could not get past those headlights; looks like a lazy eye on one side, terrible.

The Tiger 1200 was unnecessarily heavy, tall, and expensive for my needs - although a flagship model, the wrong bike for me as a smaller guy. Also no significant (to me) improvement in performance over the 800. Brand loyalty is a thing - I've owned two Triumphs before now, and the dealer here in Palmerston North has been reliable, and cut me a deal on some engine guards as well as the factory offer of free panniers. Not a consideration, but I already owned some casual Triumph riding gear, and it does look the part no doubt.

I like the look of the 800. The sporting pedigree of the triple I liked - knowing that it is in Moto 2 (in some form) means that it's a well regarded motor at heart.

Finally, in the modern age, a bunch of reviews from bike websites and YouTube channels convinced me I couldn't go wrong with the 800. And 2000km into riding, I am glad to say I got the right bike. She's a keeper.

Online penry

• Tiger Member
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 06:13:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal_T [+]

Looked closely at the BMW F800GS but it was too off-road focussed, and I could not get past those headlights; looks like a lazy eye on one side, terrible.

The Tiger 1200 was unnecessarily heavy, tall, and expensive for my needs - although a flagship model, the wrong bike for me as a smaller guy. Also no significant (to me) improvement in performance over the 800.

She's a keeper.

Looked long and hard at the BMW F800 adv despite no cruise control, no TPS and tubed tyres, ultimately I thought 'close, but no cigar'. I couldn't bear the thought of repairing a tubed puncture roadside.

Post my ( extended - could have ridden it all day ) first ride on the demo 800 XCA none of the above seemed to matter.
I have yet to press the 'cruise' button.

1200 I think is a bit unnecessary for solo riding ( being 5'11" and 11st ), and bit unwieldy to off road.

Campsite Clouseau.

Offline Q

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2019 800 XCA
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal_T [+]
She's a keeper.

Amen brother :-)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »
Here are the reasons I landed the Triumph :

- BMW is the most expensive brand in Switzerland, my 2 friends who bought 1200GS paid more in 3000km than 4 years on a Japanese brand, also hate their front suspensions and electronics.
Every time I traveled I saw a BMW stranded on the side of the road...

- KTM Fugly, expensive and not much better in reliability than BMW, pass... for the little story my Triumph dealership used to also be a KTM one, they told me they were fed up of repairing almost every single bikes, some silly little things that shouldn't happen.

- Guzzi V85 tt, motor too nice, great finishing touches but felt a bit bored.

- Ducati Multi 950, ergos were so wrong for my long legs and arms, hard seat and still expensive.

- Suzuki Vstrom, not nicest design, too close to my AT and heavy, not convinced.

- Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, fuel mileage is crap, really don't like the designs and still not convinced by frame/suspensions. Tenere 700 to me is a scandal in finishing, not up to Yamaha quality, too off-roady and not torquey enough, let's not even think of long highway rides.

- Honda 2020 AT models, well I was trying to get away from my heavy 2016 AT, also had plastics age fast, twice broken bearings for no reasons, spokes and metal parts corroding and the manual gearbox had some issues of false neutrals on older models. So the new heavier ATAS with same gearbox, for 5 to 7000 more Chf than a Tiger, was absolutely not enticing nor sane choice. The recuring issues on my Honda, though not severe made me totally loose faith in the AT.
There's also the simple facts that for everyday commute and highway rides, the AT rev range (2400-7000rpm) and crazy 1st gear, were a pain more than the fun of riding twisties, as I do 100km commute everyday, there were better choices !

That's why the extremely well equiped, lighter and revvier doesn't slump on the highway Tiger 800 XRT became the obvious winner !
I admit price wise, the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT is the only one that can compete, fully equiped I got to almost the price of the Tiger, but the Triumph is so well finished that the Yamaha didn't cut it, that also the biggest shock ever when I parked my AT next to the Tiger, really Honda has lowered it's quality standards, it was sad to see.

That Tiger somehow has something more, that makes me want to really clean it and maintain it much more, than any other Japanese bikes I ever owned and seems to me it won't be much less reliable, anyway not like my Honda...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:34:21 AM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics