Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NEW TYRES REQUIRED  (Read 3343 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
see:-
for an  XRT I'm guessing you want
for the front either 636384 (the oem size) or 636385 (the size everyone replaced the OEMS becuase it was tricky to find 100/90 at launch way back in 2011)
and 636387 for the rear.
the 636xxx number is the dunlop product code, but you'd be foolish if you didn't specify the actual size  :138:

but check the speed an load rating to make certain its right for you
V Rated is upto 240KMH

I'm sure the speed and load rating are good enough is, but totally against the spirit of the internet, you really do need to satisfy yourself that what is being said is accurate  :492:

What's certain is here in Switzerland, if you buy a lower speed rating and get into an accident, the insurance company will make problems or totally deny payments, because you used out of spec tires...

As I don't need 50/50 tires myself, I found a french adventure site with a guy on a Tiger XCA and apparently the Anakee adventure are really great according to his test, so I think I'll try these as he said they outperformed the TKC70, which to me were the best tires I've ever had on my Honda.
It's also a good point this tire has 2 compound hardnesses, his test said the tire does not get square, which is the only complaint I had on the TKC70s, because of my  boring daily commute the tires get square pretty fast usually.

Offline Uczbpha

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 800XRX
  • Location: London
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
Glad to hear this, i've just had a set of Anakee Adventure fitted to my XRX, not tested them yet so will update next week sometime.

Offline Uczbpha

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 27
  • Bike: 800XRX
  • Location: London
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
Ok, soma few weeks in with the Anakee Adventures, due to the time of year and the weather Ive not really been able to put them through their paces but first impressions are good, not too noisy, quite a plush comfortable feel, quite grippy in the wet normal road use when wet, looking forward to the better weather and popping over to Normandy next year to see how they really get on 👍

Online Tiggerton

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: XRT 2018
  • Location: MancLancs
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
Maybe I am cynical but wouldn't any tyre, no matter what manufacture, be slippy on loose gravel or on wet leaves for that matter?

Regards
Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiggerton [+]
Maybe I am cynical but wouldn't any tyre, no matter what manufacture, be slippy on loose gravel or on wet leaves for that matter?

Regards

Not really, I had a Dunlop tire on my Honda, it would slip no matter what you did, unless it  was sunny 30C outside, these were absolutely dangerous in wet conditions.

Then the new Bridgestone I put on my Yamaha, the S31 surprisingly even doesn't slip on light gravel, it's almost magical.
So you can find better tires for certain !

Offline penry

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
  • Location: Wakefield
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 05:15:12 AM »
Tyres are a very personal item. Not cheap, so once bought and fitted most of us are kinda 'stuck' with them for the next few thousand miles. Not good if you then find have no confidence in them.

I'm a fan of the reviews this guy does - on bikes ( well overdue a test on the Tiger 800 XC though ),  biking gear, and riding skills.

If you're not already happily married to a particular set of boots for your bike, have a watch of this video. Its varied, easily digestible and tells you all you need to know.

/>
I have done many thousands of  'road miles' on the following in all weathers and they are grippy, plenty of feel and return good mileage.

Bridgestone Battle Wings,
Metzeler Tourance,
Continental Trail Attack.

OK, its a fairly short list but I'm not paid to test tyres so spend my own hard earned. I'm progressive and experienced road rider and when I find a tyre I like I tend to stick with it ( excuse the pun ). :155:







 
Campsite Clouseau.

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 05:52:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
Tyres are a very personal item. Not cheap, so once bought and fitted most of us are kinda 'stuck' with them for the next few thousand miles. Not good if you then find have no confidence in them.

I'm a fan of the reviews this guy does - on bikes ( well overdue a test on the Tiger 800 XC though ),  biking gear, and riding skills.

If you're not already happily married to a particular set of boots for your bike, have a watch of this video. Its varied, easily digestible and tells you all you need to know.

/>
I have done many thousands of  'road miles' on the following in all weathers and they are grippy, plenty of feel and return good mileage.

Bridgestone Battle Wings,
Metzeler Tourance,
Continental Trail Attack.

OK, its a fairly short list but I'm not paid to test tyres so spend my own hard earned. I'm progressive and experienced road rider and when I find a tyre I like I tend to stick with it ( excuse the pun ). :155:

I think the battlewings are now retired, so you might not find them for a long time, it was replaced by the A41 tested on my Honda, they are okay but not the level of Continentals in my opinion in the wet.

I've heard from my Honda riders, that strangely the latest Trail attack 3 are not so good in the wet, that the 2 were really better, I did something like 16'000km on a pair of TA2, they squared awfully in the end but still good.

My favorite of all times for wet and versatility, are still the TKC 70 of need slightly more off roading.

My dealership advised the Anakee adv, they said the last triumph test they did,  the people showing roads and tracks were going really hard and saying these tires are great on the tiger, so I'll try these as planned.

Offline penry

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
  • Location: Wakefield
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I think the battlewings are now retired, so you might not find them for a long time, it was replaced by the A41 tested on my Honda, they are okay but not the level of Continentals in my opinion in the wet.

I've heard from my Honda riders, that strangely the latest Trail attack 3 are not so good in the wet, that the 2 were really better, I did something like 16'000km on a pair of TA2, they squared awfully in the end but still good.

My favorite of all times for wet and versatility, are still the TKC 70 of need slightly more off roading.

My dealership advised the Anakee adv, they said the last triumph test they did,  the people showing roads and tracks were going really hard and saying these tires are great on the tiger, so I'll try these as planned.

B*gger re the TA 3's then  :023:. I had TA2's on my 1150 GSA and they were great from the word go. Really liked them.

I don't offroad at all so its something 90% road biased for me with the 'chunky style' tread pattern adventure bike tyres typically come with as OE.

Battle Wings still available here ( My 2019 XCA came with them as OE ).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:16:19 AM by penry »
Campsite Clouseau.

Offline Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
B*gger re the TA 3's then  :023:. I had TA2's on my 1150 GSA and they were great from the word go. Really liked them.

I don't offroad at all so its something 90% road biased for me with the 'chunky style' tread pattern adventure bike tyres typically come with as OE.

Battle Wings still available here ( My 2019 XCA came with them as OE ).

When I bought my 2014 Yamaha that was left in a dealership with no miles for years, because in 2014 the MT line began and no one wanted the "old one", it still had the BT016 from stock, so your bike having these doesn't mean much, when the bike is done they put tires on them, yours might have been produced in 2018, but it seems at least here the Battlewings are not purchased anymore by tyres vendors.

I don't offroad much either you know, it's just that chunkier patterns can give you a slight advantage on gravel and in heavy rain, also the those had crazy good mileage and grip, that's why I used them in Norway or Sweden.
In spain I was back on TA2, they did better with the Spanish Heat than the TKC.

Offline penry

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 112
  • No solution is insurmountable...
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA '19
  • Location: Wakefield
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
When I bought my 2014 Yamaha that was left in a dealership with no miles for years, because in 2014 the MT line began and no one wanted the "old one", it still had the BT016 from stock, so your bike having these doesn't mean much, when the bike is done they put tires on them, yours might have been produced in 2018, but it seems at least here the Battlewings are not purchased anymore by tyres vendors.

I don't offroad much either you know, it's just that chunkier patterns can give you a slight advantage on gravel and in heavy rain, also the those had crazy good mileage and grip, that's why I used them in Norway or Sweden.
In spain I was back on TA2, they did better with the Spanish Heat than the TKC.

Annakees look similar to the type of tyres I generally stick on my Adv bikes, see how the Battlewings go and maybe try them when I replace them.
Campsite Clouseau.

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch