Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NEW TYRES REQUIRED  (Read 5089 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1751
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
Battle wings imo are really a road tyre, ok for our badly potholed rough roads and replaced by the A41 in Jan 2018.

The Trail wings commonly known as "Deathwings" are still listed as an adventure tyre, imo ok for a bit of hard packed gravel. The A41 looks to be a better tyre, going off some of the forum reviews.

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/bridgestone/battle-wing-bw-501-bw-502/

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/bridgestone/trail-wing/
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AvgBear

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2861
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
  • Location: Missouri USA
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trickytiger [+]
...800xc 2013 and it's ready for a new pair of tyres.
...not had adventure bike before so looking for some advice.
It will be mainly road and some light off road.
Any guidance much appreciated thanks.
Also any gentle green lanes
This thread has offered much advice for road-going tires -- but, since the OP has an XC and is intending to ride off-road, I'd say those posters recommending more "adventure-style / block tread" tires are doing the OP good service.
Tires like Michelin Anakee Adventure or Dunlop Trailmax Mission Adventure or similar offer the kind of tread that helps propel the back tire in low traction situations (off-road) and - maybe more important? - may help the the front tire 'stick' when it would be very unfortunate to slide.
Traction off-road may trump on-highway performance / wear -- when riding in uncontrolled environments?
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline taff

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 601
  • Bike: Tiger XC
  • Location: In the forest
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

they are the only tyre that I've ever thrown away before using all of the tread. I went back to the Anakee btw   :031:

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 327
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
This thread has offered much advice for road-going tires -- but, since the OP has an XC and is intending to ride off-road, I'd say those posters recommending more "adventure-style / block tread" tires are doing the OP good service.
Tires like Michelin Anakee Adventure or Dunlop Trailmax Mission Adventure or similar offer the kind of tread that helps propel the back tire in low traction situations (off-road) and - maybe more important? - may help the the front tire 'stick' when it would be very unfortunate to slide.
Traction off-road may trump on-highway performance / wear -- when riding in uncontrolled environments?

Op said light off-road, I did off-road on TA2 and TKC70 although on my Africa twin back then, I honestly didn't feel much difference, for Rocky forest roads, grass and even dry packed dirt, the speed you'd have to go to feel a difference, I would say you'd need training and then wouldn't ask for light off-roading tires, would you have that level of skill I think, because you could do more off-roading.

On the A41, I had them on my Honda before selling it, they weren't awful, surely less wet grip than Continentals to me,  but still you felt when they would slip, the tires I find worse than these A41 are the tourance next, freaking bad because they suddenly slip without warning.

There are still the Metzeler karoo street, but I've heard very mixed things on them so difficult to really know.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:40:33 AM by Djairouks »

Online Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1751
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

Ha, sounds about right, the more off road biased a tyre is, the worse it will be on wet tarmac.

I have Metz Unicross on my off-road bike, I sure wouldn't like to ride a 230kg bike on a damp road with them rascals. Brill off-road though. IRC do very good off-road tyres. Honda like them. Bridgestone Gritty are good grip in clag but wear quickly.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 327
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Ha, sounds about right, the more off road biased a tyre is, the worse it will be on wet tarmac.

I have Metz Unicross on my off-road bike, I sure wouldn't like to ride a 230kg bike on a damp road with them rascals. Brill off-road though. IRC do very good off-road tyres. Honda like them. Bridgestone Gritty are good grip in clag but wear quickly.

Not necessarily, the TKC70 have been so far the best wet tarmac tires that I've had on a trail, even better than Michelins and it's supposed to be a 70/30 tire, while the A41 being 90/10 fares worse.

Also had sport touring tires which were total shite under rain, while not designed for off-road at all, so it depends from tire to tire really.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:12:13 AM by Djairouks »

Offline JMc

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 809
  • Bike: tiger800
  • Location: Gloucestershire
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2019, 01:27:41 PM »
I loved the TKC70's on my Tiger and will be replacing the OEM ones on my XCX early next year, they have just added to the TKC70 range and i hope its as good and the older versions, especially in the wet and they were excellent.  :046:

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/tkc-70-rocks

Jmc

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 327
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
I loved the TKC70's on my Tiger and will be replacing the OEM ones on my XCX early next year, they have just added to the TKC70 range and i hope its as good and the older versions, especially in the wet and they were excellent.  :046:

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/tkc-70-rocks

Jmc

Interesting I didn't hear any news about this thanks, it seems they just changed the rear center to more threaded blocks, but the tech specs seem unchanged though.

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2918
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2019, 02:27:20 PM »
I followed the 'selector' route for tyres for my bike away from the posted link and was shown the standard TKC70's (though the sizes are available in the new tyre) and it took me a moment to realise that the tread was different from the TKC70 Rocks . it would surely have been clearer to have given the new tyre a different model designation, maybe TKC75 between the standard TKC70 and the chunkier TKC80. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


Offline JMc

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 809
  • Bike: tiger800
  • Location: Gloucestershire
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2019, 03:34:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I followed the 'selector' route for tyres for my bike away from the posted link and was shown the standard TKC70's (though the sizes are available in the new tyre) and it took me a moment to realise that the tread was different from the TKC70 Rocks . it would surely have been clearer to have given the new tyre a different model designation, maybe TKC75 between the standard TKC70 and the chunkier TKC80. :027:

Yes that does seem to be the general consensus among the forums, it would make life a little easier when ordering etc.  :138:

Jmc

 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch