Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: NEW TYRES REQUIRED  (Read 3250 times)

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2019, 04:19:07 PM »
What sort of terrain are the TKC70 good on? My last off-road bike came with Pirelli MT60's, they look far more aggressive than TKC70's. They were ok on tarmac or rocky stuff but useless on any loose or soft ground. I binned them & fitted some decent road legal enduro tyres. Some have different compounds for different conditions eg soft, medium & hard, get the wrong ones & you won't be happy. Most tyres sold as 90/10 - 70/30 imo should be classed as winter tyres for the road. Good for the conditions we have right now in the PDNP.

Mich hard & medium compounds
https://www.endurotyres.com/michelin-enduro-medium-xtrem/

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2019, 04:49:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
What sort of terrain are the TKC70 good on? My last off-road bike came with Pirelli MT60's, they look far more aggressive than TKC70's. They were ok on tarmac or rocky stuff but useless on any loose or soft ground. I binned them & fitted some decent road legal enduro tyres. Some have different compounds for different conditions eg soft, medium & hard, get the wrong ones & you won't be happy. Most tyres sold as 90/10 - 70/30 imo should be classed as winter tyres for the road. Good for the conditions we have right now in the PDNP.

Mich hard & medium compounds
https://www.endurotyres.com/michelin-enduro-medium-xtrem/

Again you can't generalize and put all 90/10 and 70/30 in the same lot, some are just road tires with the looks of adventure and honestly the TKC70 most people do pretty good off- roading with these, some even say they are more 60/40, the 70/30 is Continental marketing.

When I did a BMW riding day closer to my home, I had the TKC and then they made us test their R1200GS with full knobbies, I honestly never felt my 240ish kg Honda slip or lose traction with the Continentals and we did the same with the BMWs, no difference to me on moderately lose dirt and in a rock quary where we rode.

I do see lots of people thinking they need knobbies, while they don't really have the competence to ride so hard, that these tires would be really needed, at least that's my experience seeing my dirtbike competition friend go crazy on my Honda with these tires without much issues.
Heck I ain't got these competences either, at least on huge adventure bikes like the Honda and BMW, so the TKC seemed good for everything to ride dirt and quarries up till 60kmh, above I didn't feel safe on knobbies nor the TKC.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2019, 06:03:04 PM »
Wrong person answer!

Hard work on here lately. This is off-roading and cannot be done on silly tyres.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:34:41 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Wrong person answer!

Hard work on here lately. This is off-roading and cannot be done on silly tyres.

/>

Pretty nice you're lucky to live up there, here in Switzerland we have amazing nature, but dirt riding is mostly forbidden... You can only go on tracks and then it's very limited, because the neighbors always complain about the noise and of course being Switzerland it's expensive !

Honestly to my point about the tires, I love the tiger, or Africa twin and others, but I would not do stuff like the gritiest on your video, with a +200kg expensive motorcycle, that's why I think these TKC and the like are more than enough.
As shows your video btw, all you guys have proper dirt bikes, it's just safer.

Anyway back to topic OP said light off roading, so TKC70 will easily do that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:22:52 PM by Djairouks »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

they are the only tyre that I've ever thrown away before using all of the tread. I went back to the Anakee btw   :031:

I've got them on my XRx. They're fine in the damp (most morning at the moment), though most of my 1500 miles a month are motorway and dual carriageway. I'm also very restrained in damp and wet weather, having had more offs in the wet than the dry.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics