Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Triumph after 10 years of Japanese rides  (Read 352 times)

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
First Triumph after 10 years of Japanese rides
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »
Hello I'm a Swiss down there in the center, been travelling around Europe on vacations, with my now ex Honda CRF 1000 L since 2017. Changed suddenly about one week ago, after facing death from close, as my Honda's gearbox made more and more false neutrals, on highways at 140kmh between 5th and 6th, also had engine stop numerous time for no reasons and I got fed up of the weight of it all when travelling loaded ! Felt I couldn't trust my Honda anymore and as the 2020 models are still so heavy, I started looking at Ducati and Triumph.

I am now the proud and happy owner of a 2018 pearl white XRT, so glad to have left the 21" behind and go back on sportier ride. So far I'm blown away by the cruise control and fuel mileage, the comfort of the saddle with or without heating and the lightness and ease of riding it.

I was pretty lucky, to come at the time they offered the aluminium panniers for free, with any Tiger purchase, also I was shocked at the service quality just the Triumph document holder with everything inside is so smart, I used to misplace all my manuals/service books/keys, then the Triumph backpack is surprisingly nice to use and cool.
I told my biker friends, that unlike with my Honda I didn't only get the dealership keyring and bill  :492:... I really never had such experience in 10 years riding japanese !

Only problem I have now, is that it's rainy days and cold, but I want to go burn some rubber  :191: !

Offline kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
Re: First Triumph after 10 years of Japanese rides
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
Hia and  :401:

Surely you could travel south a bit to enjoy the Tiger in warmer sunshine! - rude not to really  :001:

:031:

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Thanks however, I might come back in Swiss snow  :161: so not so great, but yeah I'm tempted hehe !

Offline coddy

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »
Hi and welcome from a fellow 2018 XRT owner.  :017:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:56:41 AM »
Ayup Djairouks &  :401: to the forum  :031:

You're near enough to the border to pop down to the Med via France eh. I've had some of your weather camped at bottom of Grimsel pass, we had a few floating tents after a short but heavy storm. Lucky there is a cabin on the site, a few of the boys slept in there after their tents & sleeping bags got drowned. We had a fantastic ride over the pass then down the valley past the Eiger & Matterhorn.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »
You'll think I'm crazy I guess, but I actually still haven't done all those Swiss passes  :156: !

I live less up in the mountains, but there are crazy winds here sometimes like yesterday and with rain sure can be pretty nasty very quick. But I'm sure it added to your memories, same for me I got  :190: -2C in Norway camping in July and I sure will remember this trip for years !

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Aye m8, great memories. The sun came out.....later.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »
Nice ride it is the weather you get there lots of times, you went from the 1050 to the 800 you don't miss it ?
What kept me from getting the 1050 is weight, because my 252Kg Africa twin equiped with luggage, crash bars and center stand, just was a pain in the but to move in parkings or low speed, after 34'000Km and with the gearbox issues, the Tiger 800 feels freaking light !
Also I like a bit longer suspension for going around Europe, you never know the state of the roads you'll encounter.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Nice ride it is the weather you get there lots of times, you went from the 1050 to the 800 you don't miss it ?

Nah m8, I don't miss the 1050, I couldn't part with it in the end. That grunt is so addictive I kept it. It was a bit of a handful when fully loaded with camping kit for riding the passes, especially felt so on the Stelvio. So I bought the XRx800 for that job, this is a very nimble bike & quite economical bimbling about, not a motorway bike though, it gobbles fuel at high speed down to its low gearing, never used it much on motorways until my recent trip to the Sweden & Denmark WATOC Britannia rallies. Horses for courses eh. I'd have took the 1050 but got carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands/wrists so took the 800 'cos it's easier to ride on the hands with its lighter controls.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Nah m8, I don't miss the 1050, I couldn't part with it in the end. That grunt is so addictive I kept it. It was a bit of a handful when fully loaded with camping kit for riding the passes, especially felt so on the Stelvio. So I bought the XRx800 for that job, this is a very nimble bike & quite economical bimbling about, not a motorway bike though, it gobbles fuel at high speed down to its low gearing, never used it much on motorways until my recent trip to the Sweden & Denmark WATOC Britannia rallies. Horses for courses eh. I'd have took the 1050 but got carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands/wrists so took the 800 'cos it's easier to ride on the hands with its lighter controls.

Carpal tunnel is my biggest fear as both a motorcyclist and guitarist... hopefully it won't every happen to me !

Like me I keep a boosted and lighter Gen 2 2014 Yamaha Fazer 8, which is a bike many said was mehh, but in the middle of the rev range around 5600 rpm, Yamaha made the torque increase by 20% in about 1100 rpm to peak at 8200 rpm and still pull until 10'000rpm, even Agustas don't kick your ass like this, so in summer I love to go ride this little monster and with the older R1 chassis and good adjustable suspension, I also leave quite some people behind.
It's over 10 years of owning lots of yamahas, my favorite ever ditching my MT-09 to take this one back... the MTs chassis and suspensions don't let you pilot like the Fazer does, love it !

Recent Topics