Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Flat through the middle but enough for one more adventure?  (Read 636 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
Flat through the middle but enough for one more adventure?
« on: October 10, 2019, 03:50:19 AM »
Bought the bike in Feb this year and the rear Scorpion was worn a bit but I have put about 8500k on it since then, with lots of straight high speed highway miles down the east Coast of Oz.

So it is like flat for some 5 to 6 cm now but still has 2.5mm before it hits the wear bar. You can see the flat bottom of the tyre in the picture.

Which suggests the initial 'turn' in will be going through a short arc before its well onto the sidewall. The side wear bar is like 5.3mm so there is lots of tread off centre.

I have a high country adventure in a few weeks which is all tar and corners, like serious alpine road corners one after another.

The big question is what will it feel like and what are the risks of trying to get another 2500klm out of this tyre or do I bite the bullet now ????

Never had a tyre so flat in the middle, but heaps on the sides and still looks like its up for one more adventure.

When do most pull the trigger and go to the tyre shop.

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Flat through the middle but enough for one more adventure?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
Looks like plenty enough tread left yet for another tour.

Unless of course you want to ride it like a Sports Bike and don't have cash flow problems?

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »
My back tyre was like that with a 2,200 mile trip looming, I was going to change them until I saw the routes were mainly motorway so thought I'd run them out, no problem.

If I was going to do the ride you're planning I'd get some decent rubber fitted & go have some fun. I've just fitted a pair of Metz R01's, now this bike is fun to ride. That much fun your mpg is likely to suffer. Ha.  :152:
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Silverstripes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrt
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
+1 on the Metzler Roadtec 01's.
It wasn't me !!

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:42:34 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Replace it now.

Yes, I will be riding it like a sports bike and at the end of the day I don't have a cash flow issue but that alone is not a good reason to take risks with tyres.

Just needed a good reason to do it sooner than later.

The rear doesn't owe me anything, it was already on the bike.

Plus I will convert to tubeless like I did when I replaced the front and that has already done 8000k in all conditions with no problems.

Cheers.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:10:17 AM »
On a similar issue, just googled the Road Tec 01 and whilst it sounds like an awesome tyre I fitted an Anakee on the front because I was doing dirt roads and alpine National Parks etc and the Scorpion rear was still in good condition and that worked acceptably.

The Road Tec is very Sport Touring and would be perfect for my Bandit (currently Pilot 5) so my concern would be how would it handle off road on the XCx??

The local bike shop recommends going Anakee on the rear which is the low risk option and then I am paired.

Pity it isn't dual compound but given it is standard delivery on the big Bemmers it should give reasonable mileage and it does hang on..

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 01:41:56 AM »
AFAIK the Road Tec 01  is not available in a 21" front. I'm not a fan of having mismatched tyres front and rear so that would count ot out for me on a XC model.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Bought an Anakee for the rear and boy does it handle better, turns in soooo much easier.

The thing that intrigued me when I picked it up was that it was a pronounced oval shape across the bottom... like tyres should be.

When I bought the bike it had a second hand Scorpion on it hut it was already flatish through the middle, and the tyre seemed to be more of a flat profile which I found amusing.

Even considered going to a tyre store and looking at a new Scorpion to look at its profile.

I now think that the guy who was well over 100kg and when I got it home he only had like 26 psi so I now wonder if he had given it that profile running it under inflated ??

Maybe he though that was a off road pressure, who knows, don't think he rode it much and his 'big trip' never happened.

Never bothered to ask how many k's on it at the time.

But it is well rounded now and feels great.

So good call guys.   :028:

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I've just fitted a pair of Metz R01's, now this bike is fun to ride. That much fun your mpg is likely to suffer. Ha.  :152:

How are they going, looks like a more serious contender to the Michelin R5's ?
My tyre fitter (Bikerz in Stoke) likes his Metzlers  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
How are they going, looks like a more serious contender to the Michelin R5's ?
My tyre fitter (Bikerz in Stoke) likes his Metzlers  :028:

I have the PR4's on the Tiger Sport, these RO1's on the T800 in comparison & imho are better, they don't tram line like Mich's, I noticed that more after running the R01's, the TS will be going Metz also when due, worth every penny of the 222 from M&P + 30 for my man to fit ride in/ride out.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch