Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange front tyre feeling  (Read 540 times)

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Strange front tyre feeling
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 11:53:35 AM »
This weekend being 22C and Sunny, I've started to ride hard and set up my supensions, I can confirm hating those Metzeler somehow even on a temperate road, the bike leans normally till maybe 25 and then it kind of falls for the next 10.

Is it specifically the 100/90 size or the 110/80 does the same behavior !?

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 02:48:05 PM »
If you have a look through the tyre section you will find plenty of posts on the factory suppled (and size) Metzeler Tourance Next and probably 95% are negative, particularly with regard to whitelining/tramlining. There are a few who report that they are happy with them and one or two who at renewal time stayed with them but generally upgraded the front from the bias 100/90 to the radial 110/90 and therefore matching the rear radial. I personally never considered this as option because being put off the Tourance straight away from new meant I had already decided they weren't for me and so even trying the radial 110/90 Tourance front was out.

Most though move on to other brands of tyres, though the Metzeler Roadtec has become very highly rated, and fairly safe to say probably 99% of Tiger owners also make the move to the 110/90 radial as it totally transforms the handling for the better.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
The Conti RoadAttack 3s are tremendous tyres,wet or dry
Loads of feedback and they don't cup on the front or prematurely square off on the rear
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
...fairly safe to say probably 99% of Tiger owners also make the move to ... radial as it totally transforms the handling for the better.
Handling is a subjective/qualitative term and may mean different things to different riders?
Tire performance data is sometimes hard to come by -- but, some m/c magazines give it a try w/comparison tests.
Quantitative data like stopping distance, lap times, and wear measurements can be valuable info in tire selection.
Or, the empirical data of other riders' senses/feelings about different tires..?  :187:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
The Conti RoadAttack 3s are tremendous tyres,wet or dry
Loads of feedback and they don't cup on the front or prematurely square off on the rear

Great to know, because for 34'000km I really favored Continentals on my Honda, I loved their rain grip, much more than Michelins and their pretty neutral lean character.

Offline 9w6vx

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 02:44:00 AM »
Djairouks,

I have the same feeling on my XR 2018 with Metzler Tourance Next tyres in the wet and also at whitelines.

I initially thought it was just me being an inexperienced rider as i was out of motorcycles for 30 years.

But as i started to do more research and read, i found out that many hated the Tourance Next but there were some who thought they were good.

I've got close to 6,000kms on them now. On dry conditions they are good but on wet i get very cautious as I have had the rear slide out on me once. Not a good feeling!

I did lots of reading on what tyres would be my choice once i was ready to change. I decided on the Michelin Road 5 (150/70R17 non-trail version) and I've got a rear ready at home to be swapped over once the Tourance wears out.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by 9w6vx [+]
Djairouks,

I have the same feeling on my XR 2018 with Metzler Tourance Next tyres in the wet and also at whitelines.

I initially thought it was just me being an inexperienced rider as i was out of motorcycles for 30 years.

But as i started to do more research and read, i found out that many hated the Tourance Next but there were some who thought they were good.

I've got close to 6,000kms on them now. On dry conditions they are good but on wet i get very cautious as I have had the rear slide out on me once. Not a good feeling!

I did lots of reading on what tyres would be my choice once i was ready to change. I decided on the Michelin Road 5 (150/70R17 non-trail version) and I've got a rear ready at home to be swapped over once the Tourance wears out.

I just wanted to be sure it was the tires and not dimension bias, because most of my issues are front, the back is not so bad, I just increased rebound and found it helped a lot !

What's ironic is that when I bought my Honda Africa twin, the OEM tires were also utter crap and really slipping extremely on wet roads !

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »
Don't know how you people adjusted or not your suspensions, but funnily this weird front feeling got mostly away, when I really increased rear rebound, to 3-3.5, also makes the turning much shorter which I love ! Also adjusted the front, but it's effect is more normal if I could say.

On my Honda, the rear rebound didn't have such an extreme effect on handling, so I am surprised but happy mostly !

Recent Topics

winded-staunch