Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange front tyre feeling  (Read 1233 times)

Online applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
Re: Strange front tyre feeling
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
The XR's with solid cast wheels aren't designed for off-road so why fit even slightly off road looking tyres.

Are you referring to the AV54's?

Online bucksfizz

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 18 Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but I have to agree with the OP that I, too, hated these Metzeler Tourance tyres in the wet.
A swap to Michelin Road 5 Trail transformed the handling completely.
IMHO a big boo to Triumph for fitting these to the XR range.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 08:27:44 PM »
Anybody who thinks the Metz Tourance are bad for tracking, should try Mich AC10's. Even the Mich PR4's track to some extent. The Metz RO1's don't, they are on another level.

The XR's with solid cast wheels aren't designed for off-road so why fit even slightly off road looking tyres.

You really think cast alloy wheels can't do any off-roading at all, then look back at trails from the 90s, TDM, Varadero, V-strom, people did some off-roading with these and none had spoke wheels, I did an off-road course and I was the only one with spokes too. Look the last bike from Honda that they sell as light adventure https://adventuremotorcycle.com/bikes/honda-2019-cb500x-test-review, no spokes and like these testers say, unless you do tough rocky trails, cast wheels can perfectly work.
That's exactly why I bought the XRT and not a XCA, the gravel paths or packed dirt mountain roads, don't call for either 21" nor spoked wheels, the 19" cast Wheel is perfectly fine for that and more responsive on the tarmac !

Now about the tires, on back roads here where I live and during my travels, like in Scottland or Norway even Spain, I hardly had pristine and smooth roads everywhere most of the time. You quickly realize that if you have sport touring tires, the less well maintained roads aren't as safe as with 90/10 to 80/20 trail tires, also most of these tires have more thread, which means 2 things, better rain evacuation and longer mileage, some even have sturdier all over walls, so you have a slight advantage in cases of punctures too.
Of course if you only drive around cities and road conditions are much better, sport touring tires are the logical choice, but you won't get as much mileage as on trail tires.

That's why I mount sport touring tires on my Fazer 8 which stays in Switzerland and I mount trail tires on my adventure motorcycle, with TKC70s and TA2, I did between 16K to 20K Km without any issues on my Honda riding pretty hard, the sport touring on my Yamaha get me more 8'000Km not more.

*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I'm a bit late to the party, but I have to agree with the OP that I, too, hated these Metzeler Tourance tyres in the wet.
A swap to Michelin Road 5 Trail transformed the handling completely.
IMHO a big boo to Triumph for fitting these to the XR range.

Always hated the Road 3, 4, 5 on many bikes I tried found the Roadsmarts better, but from all I read I think I will try the Anakee adventure, next year when the weather get's better, I'm back on the trains as snow is coming allready !
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:44:51 PM by Djairouks »

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:36 PM »

Because they start out with about 5cm of tread, so if you're doing a largely motorway commute, they'll last longer. That's my reason for putting Bridgestone A41s on, anyway. It seems to be working too.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Because they start out with about 5cm of tread, so if you're doing a largely motorway commute, they'll last longer. That's my reason for putting Bridgestone A41s on, anyway. It seems to be working too.

They'd last forever with 5cm of tread eh m8,  :492: that's almost 2 inch. A typo no doubt?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »
They'd last forever with 5cm of tread eh m8,  :492: that's almost 2 inch. A typo no doubt?

Hyperbole - exaggeration for comic effect.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Hyperbole - exaggeration for comic effect.

Ha, that's a good get out.

I know what ya mean with the extra tread depth, I saw how the Tourance next were lasting & thought, these will be good for 15k miles, but they went off quite badly from 8k on, I binned them at 10.5k with plenty of tread left, never had a back go so square, the front stayed round but far worse tracking on ripples.

I had a set of PR4's on my Tiger Sport, I was impressed at just short of 12k & good right down to the pips, so fitted same again. I would have fitted same to the T800 but didn't fancy the softer trail version or mixing trail/road. So I opted for the R01's, very glad I did, they are brilliant. I'd put them on a par with the 020NN's my ST1050 came with.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch