Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motorcycle apparel safety ratings.  (Read 267 times)

Offline FootloOZe

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger XRT
Motorcycle apparel safety ratings.
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
Hi All,
I am not sure if this has been shared on the Forum but I thought it might be something of interest.
In Australia once of our universities (with support from government and motorcycle associations) has been rating the safety of motorcycle apparel including, jackets and pants (textile and leather) and gloves.
The testing is very rigorous, covering safety (protection and abrasion resistance), comfort, water resistance and more. This testing is not sponsored by any brand or importer with the products being purchased anonymously from retailers and online.
Many of the brands will not be known outside of Oz but some of the ratings for well-known global brands are quite startling and more money definitely doesnt mean a safer product so if you are in the market for some new gear it might be worth a read.
The link is http://www.motocap.com.au/. I hope you find the results useful and interesting.
Craig
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:10:15 AM by FootloOZe »
Growing older doesn't mean growing up.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Motorcycle apparel safety ratings.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:00:52 AM »
The correct website link is

www.motocap.com.au

Offline FootloOZe

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
The correct website link is

www.motocap.com.au
Thanks KIWI; I have updated the link in my original post.

Craig
Growing older doesn't mean growing up.

Online Khantahr

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
Cool concept, but it appears that they do not add optional armor to the items that don't come with certain pieces.

For example, the Alpinestars missile pants don't come with hip armor, and this causes their impact test rating to basically fail.  This is, of course, valid as tested, but people who care enough to look at ratings like this would probably get the hip armor for the pants.

I'd like to see them do tests with and without the optional armor.

Offline 9w6vx

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:07:18 AM »
footlooze,

Thanks for sharing.

Quite enlightening information.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Khantahr [+]
Cool concept, but it appears that they do not add optional armor to the items that don't come with certain pieces.

For example, the Alpinestars missile pants don't come with hip armor, and this causes their impact test rating to basically fail.  This is, of course, valid as tested, but people who care enough to look at ratings like this would probably get the hip armor for the pants.

I'd like to see them do tests with and without the optional armor.

Since there are so many types of armour which do you choose to put in for the tests?
I think the concept is good as is.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Recent Topics