Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: £1000 a service!!  (Read 2503 times)

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
Re: £1000 a service!!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Learn to DIY it would be my advice

Major servicing is a great and rewarding task over a cold and wet winter weekend
Minor stuff can easily be done as you go
You learn an awful lot about your bike and it gets much better care and attention than any dealer will ever give it
  :0461: :460: I do my own servicing...saved a fortune and best of all I know it's been done...properly.
I'm from Wigan Me

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
£600 labour? I wonder what time it was dropped off & collected. £100/hour?

If you look at the SR items it shows hourly rate at net £75/hr and official times, the total being 8hrs. Then of course the parts and to compound the pain the extra 20% VAT levy Ö. so you're not far off at labour gross £90/hr. :172:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline mikegml

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
It's a quote. It's from a proper Triumph dealer which I've used (I didn't want to show the quote including branch and names etc) and it's the same price as another quote from another pukka Triumph dealer from Bath which unlike London is not a sh**hole.  It obviously includes valves.  God knows what sort of valves it's got that it needs that much labour.

There must be others here that have had 20k services done inc' valves, how much did you pay?

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
Clearly a rip-off from a dishonest dealer...should've booked Mr. MuddySump

London prices eh  :005: Been there, never again, awful place.  :110:

AIUI Triumph set the labour times for standard service and repair items but obviously not the dealers labour rate and I'm actually surprised that it was so low for London. I haven't been to my Plymouth dealer in over a year but back then it was £66/hr (not sure if before VAT) so not much lower out of London and wages here are certainly lower than London. An average wage here isn't much above the minimum wage.  :027:

Agree, DIY if confident or seek independant mechanic.  :028:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:09:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by gordybrock [+]
  :0461: :493: It's a sh*t-hole

I resemble that remark......

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
AIUI Triumph set the labour times for standard service and repair items but obviously not the dealers labour rate and I'm actually surprised that it was so low for London. I haven't been to my Plymouth dealer in over a year but back then it was £66/hr (not sure if before VAT) so not much lower out of London and wages here are certainly lower than London. An average wage here isn't much above the minimum wage.  :027:

Agree, DIY if confident or seek independant mechanic.  :028:

Is that you saying the £1,000 service is ok for London folk? :017: Well I s'pose they do get paid a gudly bit more than us hillbilly types and if their beer & property is owt to go off then everything else should be 50% more.  :164:
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
Mine was around £650, but at Staffordshire Triumph, not an expensive southern dealer, looks like London pricing going on there  :028:

Of course it depends on what's being done, the 20,000miles is a big service, most dealers quote assuming they're going to have to adjust tappets and then there's extras like brake pads, tyres, etc, at least he doesn't have to worry about new chains and sprockets  :038:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
Is that you saying the £1,000 service is ok for London folk?

Where do I say £1000 is ok for anyone. :110: I simply related that given how much it appears we outside the London bubble are also paying our dealers per/hr then the generally accepted higher cost of living in London (and higher wages) doesn't make that London rate appear such a 'rip off' (IMO).

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »
Must say I'm for once happy to live in Switzerland (doesn't happen often), if I do the exchange rate on what the dealer told me it would cost for a big service, it would be 350£-400£ and as a comparison my big service of my now departed Honda, cost me 511£ and about less than half this was for parts.

So yeah you Brits seem to be paying for "lube" if you know what I mean  :492: hopefully my dealership was not bulshiting me with these prices, future will tell !

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by mikegml [+]
God knows what sort of valves it's got that it needs that much labour.

Worth noting that they check the valves and if even one is out then they have to take the camshaft out to re-shim, as it's such a big engine shoe-horned into the frame it's easier to take the engine out to strip the top end down to do it, that's why they're so expensive  :028:

I worked it out, based on 40,000 miles it works out roughly the same cost, 2 major and two minor services on the 1200, 3 major and 3-4 minor services on the 800 + at least two chain sets  :017:
Now available in "Batman"

Recent Topics