Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: £1000 a service!!  (Read 2501 times)

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: £1000 a service!!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lopez [+]
We should do a "Continental Meeting"  :031:

Absolutely ! Loved my 2018 Andalusia tour the fooooooood !   :169:

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 01:03:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
On the good side, you get a stamp in your book.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Online Fazer

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM »
John Bull Printing set!! I had one of those in the 1950s.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
Learn to DIY it would be my advice
Major servicing is a great and rewarding task over a cold and wet winter weekend
Minor stuff can easily be done as you go
You learn an awful lot about your bike and it gets much better care and attention than any dealer will ever give it
A nice sentiment  --but, I fear those days are behind us?
I agree, tho (somewhat) about the minor stuff.
Mr. Haynes has a chapter on Routine maintenance and Servicing in which he lists the maintenance schedule and tasks needed to be performed -- basically intended for the home mechanic / DIYer.
Included w/each task is a Degree of Difficulty symbol -- from 1 wrench (easy) to 5 wrenches (very difficult). The majority of the tasks are 1 wrench (suitable for novice with little experience) or 2 wrenches (suitable for beginner with some experience). But some: Valve Clearances, Idle Speed and Throttle Body Synchronisation, and Engine Management System are 4 and 5 wrenches (Difficult, suitable for experienced DIY mechanic and Very Difficult, suitable for expert DIY or professional).
I fear not many have the requisite skills nor tools for required for the serious business of modern motorbike servicing? Notwithstanding, the everyday checks addressed in the Rider's Manual.

Something not mentioned, so-far: Service Contracts -- pre-paid agreements between riders and shops for service work done over a period of time. Popular for some...  :084:
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

winded-staunch