Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Centre stand  (Read 1030 times)

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 09:40:18 PM »
Before buying my XRT I saw a few reviews on YouTube where they really struggled to get the bike on the centre stand. I just dismissed them as being inexperienced or something,

Never had problems with previous bikes getting on their centre stand, FZ1, Tracer 900. Tried putting my XRT on the centre stand for the first time the other day (had the bike 3 months) when filling up with fuel and gave up after a few attempts. It's like this bike has a unique technique required compared to all other bikes, or maybe it's just really badly designed. I suspect the latter.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 09:51:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
Before buying my XRT I saw a few reviews on YouTube where they really struggled to get the bike on the centre stand. I just dismissed them as being inexperienced or something,

Never had problems with previous bikes getting on their centre stand, FZ1, Tracer 900. Tried putting my XRT on the centre stand for the first time the other day (had the bike 3 months) when filling up with fuel and gave up after a few attempts. It's like this bike has a unique technique required compared to all other bikes, or maybe it's just really badly designed. I suspect the latter.

Okay interesting, because I can assure you, I had a 1978 Suzuki GS550 impossible to put on the stand, then my Africa twin, I could do it once without luggage and I was rinsed, couldn't do it twice in a row !
Yet the Tiger to me is hassle free, but maybe it's the Africa twin training that gave me the "technique", so to me it's fine because I manage it 3 or 4 times even with cases on no problem, I really have seen people do it wrong, I used to do it wrong before my mecanic showed me on the Africa twin as well  :435:.

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
Some of the centre stands seem to be just a bit "off", maybe the profile of the feet, and this make the bike very hard to lift. Mine is one, I'm 6'3" and 13st10, spend my time not biking cycling, running and climbing. If I find it hard most other people will. My friend's bike just pops on it's stand. Yes there's the good technique that makes it possible. This is still the hardest bike I've had to put up on the stand.

Some of the people (thankfully not on this thread) with the good stands will tell you it's no problem, you're a big softy and it's no different from any other bike. These folks need to understand that one thing welded up from bits of metal tube can be different from another, even when it has the same part number.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by StretchToo [+]
Some of the centre stands seem to be just a bit "off", maybe the profile of the feet, and this make the bike very hard to lift. Mine is one, I'm 6'3" and 13st10, spend my time not biking cycling, running and climbing. If I find it hard most other people will. My friend's bike just pops on it's stand. Yes there's the good technique that makes it possible. This is still the hardest bike I've had to put up on the stand.

Some of the people (thankfully not on this thread) with the good stands will tell you it's no problem, you're a big softy and it's no different from any other bike. These folks need to understand that one thing welded up from bits of metal tube can be different from another, even when it has the same part number.

Fair enough that explanation makes sense, even if it's disappointing they wouldn't be so precise on center stands, especially after I looked at the SW motech site and their stands are apparently different, they have different ones for different models through the years, so maybe these are more functional !

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:18 PM »
I found my old 2011 T800 difficult to put onto the centre stand and totally impossible with the panniers on, not because of the weight, but the access and foot lever placement, I've not had a centre stand on many bikes since the 80's (took it off the old T800) and have got used to using a paddock stand for maintenance and repairs. I didn't get one for the new one, just some paddock stand bobbins  :001:

I couldn't get my Explorer onto it's centre stand for about 18 months, but that was more due to poor technique and a wonky right leg, it was a sign that my leg was finally structurally sound that when I tried for the 4th or 5th time it just popped straight up there, my tyre fitter, who's a fairly short guy can pop any bike (including my Explorer) up on the centre stand, as can the shorter service guys, it's definitely nothing to do with size, or weight of the operator, though obviously I doubt Arnie would have any problem  :008:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline csg1998

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
Might be teaching you to suck eggs here, but I always struggled with bike centre stands until one day someone showed me the correct technique.  In my head, I was trying to pull the bike backwards onto the stand, when you should just be pulling the bike upwards, if that makes sense.   Sounds obvious, but it's a subtle difference of technique that makes all the difference, to me at least.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »
Yeah the technique is to press straight down with the foot and straight up with your arms, right hand preferably grabbing at a lower point such as by the rear pegs rather than the grab rail.

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 03:14:44 PM »
Yes, exactly, and if you have one of the iffy centre stands put your right foot on the stand lever, grab by the rear footpeg and put ALL your weight on that lever, take your left foot off the floor, and pull up with all your might. It'll go up and land with a bang. A good one is a much gentler transfer of weight and lands with a clunk.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 06:12:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by StretchToo [+]
Yes, exactly, and if you have one of the iffy centre stands put your right foot on the stand lever, grab by the rear footpeg and put ALL your weight on that lever, take your left foot off the floor, and pull up with all your might. It'll go up and land with a bang. A good one is a much gentler transfer of weight and lands with a clunk.

As I have the aluminum panniers, grabbing on the panniers frame made it Indeed even easier !

Recent Topics

winded-staunch