Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Centre stand  (Read 1107 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mav

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 248
  • Bike: 800 XRx
  • Location: Nottingham
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Sorry while there's part design between models of course, between me 74Kg and my mechanic a tall 120ish Kg guy, I need to pull up slightly to put it on center stand, while he just stands on the stand barely touching rear grab handles and it goes, so in our Tiger case yes weight will do a difference and being tall give your arm more leverage with your core.

As said lighter and smaller people need to use all their weight for a proper technique !
You obviously haven't read all the numerous post on this forum about the T800 stand, many owners say how difficult it is to put the T800 onto its centre stand!

As Paulhere said, its the design and position of the stand on the 800 that is the problem.
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mav [+]
You obviously haven't read all the numerous post on this forum about the T800 stand, many owners say how difficult it is to put the T800 onto its centre stand!

As Paulhere said, its the design and position of the stand on the 800 that is the problem.

You're missing the point, it will be easier for someone depending the height of handlebar/rear handles, placement of the stand, but that's not all due to good/bad design, it's dependant on the person morphology in regards to the motorcycle design. So just saying bad bike design okay... with my flimsy 74Kg as you suggest, that all other posts here point to a bad design only, then I should also have these issues, but I don't.

With lowered Tiger as the OP, it's not normal geometry and it will be more difficult, to put on the center stand, again not bad design, just smaller rider as I said before.

Besides do you think people like me having an easy time, will make a post, to point out "ohhh the center stand is so great", not really so of course many posts of people having issue with it will be readable, doesn't prove much either does it.

I have a friend that's 150Kg and almost 2m, we once talked about this and there is no motorcycle he can't put on a center stand, he looked at me weird when I said the Honda was really difficult, he put it on like it was nothing, so motorcycle designs are one thing, but then for some people it doesn't matter, that was the point.

I'll repeat again, put all weight on the stand righ foot on it you can even bend legs and torso, then straighten suddently banging on the stand with all your weight, while pulling with arms and it will go much easier, a bit like going upstair if you will, I learned that on my difficult Honda instead of just saying bad design, this isn't helping the people asking for help !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:42:08 AM by Djairouks »

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1597
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
I wonder, are they all the same?

With your bike on its centre stand, what is the measurement under the rear wheel to floor?


You must appreciate that most of the regular boys on here have been riding for decades. So grannies & eggs talk is not called for.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 05:43:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I wonder, are they all the same?

With your bike on its centre stand, what is the measurement under the rear wheel to floor?


You must appreciate that most of the regular boys on here have been riding for decades. So grannies & eggs talk is not called for.

Mine on the stand is 3cm from the pavement, but more important the side stand contacter for reference, is at 25 cm on the stand and then both wheels down motorcycle straight (21 clicks preload), it measures 20cm, so if a Tiger low is 4cm lower front and 2cm rear then, it means the side stand must be different, because I Don't see how it would work to move the bike up  around 8cm rather than 5cm, with the same stand if not Triumph are dumbasses.

What I appreciate is any logical and pragmatic assesment of mecanics and systems yes, what I Don't appreciate is just saying because more people say it's bad and are older and riding more than me as you assume, with no more argument whatsoever, not talking height or weight of each individuals, that your point is better or more right Age and number trumps logic, you managed to make me  :492: laugh really hard at least !

Not here to pick a fight mate, but I'm no Brit so your slang is completely lost on me sorry !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:55:36 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Paulhere

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 1597
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • Location: High Peak
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
I just asked for that 3cm dim, not all the lip, thankyou.

I now see why yours is so easy to pop on the stand, my rear wheel with bike on stand is 6cm's off the ground, hence requires a good pull.

My Tiger Sport rear tyre is 3cm's off the ground & easy to pop on the stand.

Pick a fight? I was trying to make the point that most of us are not young enough to know everything.  :492:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:00:08 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 06:36:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I just asked for that 3cm dim, not all the lip, thankyou.

I now see why yours is so easy to pop on the stand, my rear wheel with bike on stand is 6cm's off the ground, hence requires a good pull.

My Tiger Sport rear tyre is 3cm's off the ground & easy to pop on the stand.

So the models are different, that's interesting and furthers my point even if you Don't want to admit it, the bike as is my 2018 is perfectly designed Nothing wrong, then you can't just generalize that all are badly designed.
This will be helpfull for people knowing 2018 apparently are easier to put on the center stand, it is relevant information !

So now would be interesting Gary measures his !? But I was thinking using just a 2cm plank and roll the rear tire on it, would help with this issue.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:53:03 PM by Djairouks »

Offline geordielad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
  • Location: Wirral
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Lopez [+]
It's not only the weight. I can put a BMW GS 1200 easily. It's due to a poor design/weight balance.

Have to agree - I've come from RT's (275 kg) and they were much easier to put onto and take off the centre stand.
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by geordielad [+]
Have to agree - I've come from RT's (275 kg) and they were much easier to put onto and take off the centre stand.

I also think many people have no clue about dead travel of the rear shock, I did measure SAG and it was 2cm too long with no preload, so again it's easy to say a motorcycle is badly designed, opposed to BMW Paralever, but when I then adjusted for correct sag the motorcycle sat higher, it made a difference for the center stand, even if I didn't find it difficult to begin with.
Being 74Kg and having 2cm more of SAG, I'm pretty positive most males here are hardly lighter than I am, so maybe check your SAG.

Here are all parameters of a easy/hard stand :

- Bike weight
- Placement of stand
- Placement of handles
- Length/angle of stand
- Rear suspension height
- Rider weight
- Rider arms length and height

So you can compare motorcycles yes but then maybe your morphology is an advantage or inconveniant, you have to produce for a broad range of people, which makes it as relevant as bike design in such case.
I also really don't understand dealerships don't tell you about this, explain the concept of SAG or even set it for your weight !

BTW the dealership showed me an easy way to get it off the stand, you just bang the rear tire on pavement, either same hand placement as going on stand, or just by holding handlebar normally and pulling, then it rebounds on the tire/susp as you then push slightly, easily goes down !
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:59:25 AM by Djairouks »

Offline geordielad

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 36
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
  • Location: Wirral
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I also think many people have no clue about dead travel of the rear shock, I did measure SAG and it was 2cm too long with no preload, so again it's easy to say a motorcycle is badly designed, opposed to BMW Paralever, but when I then adjusted for correct sag the motorcycle sat higher, it made a difference for the center stand, even if I didn't find it difficult to begin with.
Being 74Kg and having 2cm more of SAG, I'm pretty positive most males here are hardly lighter than I am, so maybe check your SAG.

Here are all parameters of a easy/hard stand :

- Bike weight
- Placement of stand
- Placement of handles
- Length/angle of stand
- Rear suspension height
- Rider weight
- Rider arms length and height

So you can compare motorcycles yes but then maybe your morphology is an advantage or inconveniant, you have to produce for a broad range of people, which makes it as relevant as bike design in such case.
I also really don't understand dealerships don't tell you about this, explain the concept of SAG or even set it for your weight !

BTW the dealership showed me an easy way to get it off the stand, you just bang the rear tire on pavement, either same hand placement as going on stand, or just by holding handlebar normally and pulling, then it rebounds on the tire/susp as you then push slightly, easily goes down !

All well and good, but as far as I'm concerned, your morphology goes out of the window when you have a general concensus on the mechanical aspects of the bike in question.
As my morphology doesn't change a great deal, it is therefore a major factor in my choice of bike - weight, seat height etc. If I was a lot taller, I probably would not have chosen the Tiger, but as I'm a short 4rse, I did, because I can manage it and feel confident on it, as I did with the RT.
However, the RT is 60 odd kg heavier and still went onto and off the stand much easier than the Tiger.
I too have set up my suspension to suit my physical needs, weight and riding style.
Ergo, I believe that the majority of difficulties encountered in using the sidestand are mainly due to the design of the bike.
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Online Djairouks

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
  • Location: Neuchtel
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by geordielad [+]
All well and good, but as far as I'm concerned, your morphology goes out of the window when you have a general concensus on the mechanical aspects of the bike in question.
As my morphology doesn't change a great deal, it is therefore a major factor in my choice of bike - weight, seat height etc. If I was a lot taller, I probably would not have chosen the Tiger, but as I'm a short 4rse, I did, because I can manage it and feel confident on it, as I did with the RT.
However, the RT is 60 odd kg heavier and still went onto and off the stand much easier than the Tiger.
I too have set up my suspension to suit my physical needs, weight and riding style.
Ergo, I believe that the majority of difficulties encountered in using the sidestand are mainly due to the design of the bike.

Again flawed logic, because many people complain doesn't mean that all these people have vastly different morphologies, what if all of them were on the lighter and shorter side, as you say tiger is more accessible, so could be, but it will be easier for heavier/taller people to put on stand. Physics can't be beaten, this very thread is on a xrx low, ergo a short rider !

So morphology doesn't necessarily go out the window, honestly I would be amused to have people give their weight and size, because to my 74kg, okay 82kg (my boots weigh 3kg  :161:) with gear and my 1m83 it's no biggie and I'm no muscle man either.

Not saying the tiger might be the best for center stand, but sorry my scientist brain likes factual measured points, not concluding just because of the masses saying one thing.

As I said if really we would see a trend, that's something to say to Future riders, which is useful.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:09:55 PM by Djairouks »

 


Recent Topics