Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain getting dry really fast  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Neogas

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: chain getting dry really fast
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I don't really thing perpetual oiling vs greasing every few 100Km, makes a chain last much longer,
as long as oil or grease keeps the chain from rusting, friction won't increase and chains will not see
much difference.
With my Honda the dealer always told me you put enough grease on your chain, I would spray every
400Km and my chain was still fine when sold after 34'000Km, can't say the same about the rear sprocket though, the teeth were starting to bend but the AT gearbox was pretty violent, it must
have played.
I hope the Tiger's chain will last 40'000Km, from the experience with my Honda.

To me the benefit from a chain oiler are just :

1 Less sh*t to clean on your rim and left pant leg
2 Cheaper bottles of oil against expensive grease spray cans
3 Much less bulk to carry during travel adventures in Europe and easy to find oil anywhere

Look at this test, they really say there's not a big impact on friction.
/>

One of my favourite bloggers shows his method here:

/>
This is the chain lube I am using and it gets great reviews

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
― Anonymous

Offline OzzieTiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2019
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
Hi Neogas...

and that would be Andrew.... "The MissendenFlyer", I like watching his videos too, he's prpbasbly my favourite video guy, I only discovered him a few months ago.

Hi Djairouks, I think I have always lubed my chains manually with a spray lube around every 400kms too, I clean the chain about every 1000kms.

Mind you I don't have to deal with salt etc on snowy roads here either. But I agree about enough lube to prevent rusting of side plates etc.

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
I don't really thing perpetual oiling vs greasing every few 100Km, makes a chain last much longer,

My experience over many years now is that it does. In part because the scottoil does fling off a bit, carrying dirt with it. Where I live the roads are wet more than they're dry, grease washes out of chains sometimes in a single day's long ride. You only need to run a chain dry once and it will start to wear a bit. With a scottoiler this never happens. I've had bikes with and bikes without, chains tend not to wear out if there's a scottoiler fitted, at least not in the 20-30k miles I'll normally keep a bike for. Bikes without seem to need a new chain and sprockets every 10k miles or so. It's not expensive but it's a pain. If you live somewhere drier maybe the characteristics of chain wear are different, but I've never found dry lubes or grease any good on motorbikes or bicycles around here in rainy NW England.

Also I'm quite lazy and like a self-maintaining chain.

On where to point the scottoiler - my instructions said point the single injector between the inner and outer links (at the O-rings on an O-ring chain) I've always set them like that and that seems to do both sides. I do turn the flow up quite high though, probably because the tyres get a good wash in the constant bloody drizzle. Can't wait for spring!

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by StretchToo [+]

My experience over many years now is that it does. In part because the scottoil does fling off a bit, carrying dirt with it. Where I live the roads are wet more than they're dry, grease washes out of chains sometimes in a single day's long ride. You only need to run a chain dry once and it will start to wear a bit. With a scottoiler this never happens. I've had bikes with and bikes without, chains tend not to wear out if there's a scottoiler fitted, at least not in the 20-30k miles I'll normally keep a bike for. Bikes without seem to need a new chain and sprockets every 10k miles or so. It's not expensive but it's a pain. If you live somewhere drier maybe the characteristics of chain wear are different, but I've never found dry lubes or grease any good on motorbikes or bicycles around here in rainy NW England.

Also I'm quite lazy and like a self-maintaining chain.

On where to point the scottoiler - my instructions said point the single injector between the inner and outer links (at the O-rings on an O-ring chain) I've always set them like that and that seems to do both sides. I do turn the flow up quite high though, probably because the tyres get a good wash in the constant bloody drizzle. Can't wait for spring!

Well then my previous chain on my Honda, lasting 34'000km and still good, using grease cans, is a miracle according to you, honestly it's just a matter of greasing often, I did every 400 turns out I last as long as yours on a scottoiler.
All this is marketing, the only point oilers do better, is it's much cheaper and you don't forget, it's no hassle.

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
Well no, not a miracle, any more than your surprise that you chain could be dry after 400km is a miracle. That's normal here.

It's a difference of climate - there's a lot of water on the roads here, year round. It washes filth into chains and washes the grease out. Scottoilers solve that problem.

edit: it's a local pass time, getting wet: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2014/jan/30/how-often-does-it-rain-in-manchester
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:44:22 PM by StretchToo »

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by StretchToo [+]
Well no, not a miracle, any more than your surprise that you chain could be dry after 400km is a miracle. That's normal here.

It's a difference of climate - there's a lot of water on the roads here, year round. It washes filth into chains and washes the grease out. Scottoilers solve that problem.

Oh Switzerland can be pretty rainy in some peeps you know, I drive all year long under all weather.
This may I did a tour of Scottland and greased the same way, never did my chain get dry nor correct more grime than in Switzerland, here I live around farms it's even worse, so really as I said to me scottoilers are great but if you do greasing right, I've never seen anyone manage to show, in a face to face test, they increase chain life, it's all earsay and marketing.

I always had remarks from my mechanic, how the chain lasted so long he was surprised, more than his customers with oilers too, because they never cleaned the chain or adjust oil so well...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:50:12 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch