Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dyno runs and results  (Read 299 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2015XC
Dyno runs and results
« on: October 19, 2019, 02:10:14 AM »
In my recent thread re Setting Up Power Commander and Autotune I posted some dyno results last week and updated that thread.

Was curious to look at a few other peoples set up and dyno results so maybe a new thread is a better approach.

The story to date, second hand 2015 XCX, now with a K&N main filter, pre sock, Scorpion mid pipe and muffler with a cut down baffle end to lower the flow and noise.

The bike came with the PCV but had never had a map installed from the Auto tune... dont know what the owner was thinking?

Took around 3hrs on the dyno to create and set new AF maps to get the final result below.
Auto tune will create possible maps based on the AF target maps for gears 1 to 6. My base figures were 13.3 in gear 1,2,3,4. 13.9 in 5th and 14.0 in sixth.
The final map does not support those exact target AF's but 'their developed map' could be saved and a new map installed after a good ride and save and upload from the Autotune.

Have done heaps of searches and cant find a standard bike set up / dyno either so all results would be welcome.

What my first run did suggest was that stock ECU may be a bit rich to make it run a bit smoother but I would be curious to see that in some graphs.
But with my basic changes you can see the effect of the standard ECU figures.
The dyno guy also warned that anyone going down this track needs to block off the air to exhaust system (pair) as it allows oxygen into the exhaust to assist in igniting any un burnt fuel but in doing that it can effect the read outs on the sniffer system / O2 meter.
So if you have the Auto Tune it is working on incorrect AFR's and obviously the dyno AFR is also affected.

I know that dyno runs are subjective but curious to see what others are getting from their set ups and any improvement tricks they can substantiate via charts.

Here are my figures;
79 HP at the rear wheel, AF between 13.0 up to just over 13.2 but flat for the second half of the throttle.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
Re: Dyno runs and results
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:11:47 AM »
Here are the Air Fuel readings so you can see less fuel means more power.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »
So how much did 3.7hp cost $500 - $1000  :138:

Worth it  :110:

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
Well, it was less than your lowest number but maybe you don't see the bigger picture.

The Bike has aftermarket systems, in the time that I have owned it it has not performed up to expectations and the fuel consumption has been 20klm/ ltr at its best.

Its first real trip was North Queensland (Aus) which is Tropical weather plus humidity so it has been running RICH this entire time and robbing power. The black pipe reflects its state of tune.

If you look at the AF it borders on dropping into the high 11.0's at one point in the critical lower rev range where I do most of my street riding.

So it was always slow to get off at the lights and I often had to give it another throttle opening to get it up to speed which is not satisfactory if you like being first away at the traffic lights.

This may be all well and good in the UK environment which is typically cooler overall but up North and in our Alpine areas it is down on power all through the range !!

So whilst I picked up just under 4 hp at the top, the ride ability of the bike is totally different, it handles lower revs off road better and the torque is noticeably stronger and smooth.

Bottom line, I have got it to where it should be for the longer term, have achieved better ride ability and fuel consumption.

Secondly I have taken the time to tell people with air filter and pipe changes that they will most likely be out of spec...

FWIW I do all my own service work so having to pay to get real overall performance and understanding is more of an investment than just burning money for 4 HP.
(btw, opened it up going onto the freeway ramp yesterday and was surprised to see it over 8000rpm, never revved out that easily/smoothly before)

Lastly, I can play around with it myself now, knowing that my base figures are good and real time riding will produce its own maps in the Autotune for map comparison.
For that matter I can set it up to hold 2 maps and be switchable and my dyno guy would happily help me to achieve that.... knowledge is power.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:00:35 AM »
So getting back to the original subject, what would be worth while right now is a few dyno posts

Recent Topics

winded-staunch