Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat and my Sore Bum  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Nickw_uk

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Seat and my Sore Bum
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:13:06 PM »
I have just bought a Tiger 800 XRT and taken it to France. Love the bike generally but finding the seat a pain in the a**e.  Just painful for a full days riding, my wife feels the same and she has more padding than me  :001:.

So my choices are:
1) Get the standard, heated seat modified.
2) Buy an additional seat for long runs which is not necessarily heated.

For the additional seat I have discounted the Triumph offering. The others are Touratech (about 625) or Sargent (525).

Has anyone got any advice (apart from man up and don't be a wuss  :003:) or experience of the above?

Many thanks.

Nick

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Re: Seat and my Sore Bum
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:23:38 PM »
I have the Triumph comfort seat on my XRx and it doesn't cause me any discomfort.

What is your T800 variant?
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Online Mav

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:24:51 PM »
Sorry just noticed you have the XRt which should have the comfort seat  :003:
2017 XRx
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

Offline Nickw_uk

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 11:25:57 PM »
Not sure if it is quite the same because this one is heated?

Online pahiker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCx
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 11:46:52 PM »
Sargent seats have a great reputation. I have one on my Suzuki DR650 and it's a huge improvement over the stock hemorrhoid manufacturing device.

Offline Oldbear

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRT
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 01:47:59 AM »
I think Id try one of the sheepskin pads or an air hawk pad first before replacing the $$ () seat.   My 18XRT has proven pretty decent for me up to 400+ miles/day.   I used a sheepskin on other bikes/longer rides with good results.  Pads are a nice relatively cheap aid UNLESS you need them all the time (ie the seat is killing you after even a short ride).   If long trips are only issue they are the (cheap) way to go

Offline SpursSteve

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: T800 XRT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
I bought my XRT in August and although I was coping better that my wife I was still suffering badly! I came from a BMW Rt so an armchair!

I tried Airhawk and it was better for me but for Julie it was so bad that I think biking came very close to a solo effort! I bit the bullet and got a Sargent from Adventure Bike Shop. Although it feels very firm it is amazingly comfortable. I'm told it takes 1500 to 2000 miles to fully bed in but straight out of the box it's excellent. I went for the heated version and must say that Julie loves it. She says better than the BM for warmth.

I've not done loads of miles yet but we have done a couple of 2 hour stints without stopping. Original seat for Julie was maybe 25 mins before my ears bled too much!

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
I've always been a fan of Sargent seats, got a pair on my XRX, needs the pillion also. Great for distance work, wider and a more ergonomic shape. Had Sargent on my last two bikes, expensive , yes, but you always get about 50 / 60% back on resale...

Online Lopez

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: '18 XCA
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
There are a couple of guys here, in Spain, that put gel+visco while keeping the heating seat. They can even make a seat heated. It's about 150 (both seats).

Online geordielad

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
No personal experience of these, but I have read some very good reports of them on the Tiger 800 riders forum:
http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/elite-comfort-motorcycle-seats.html
They will even fit heating elements for you - Worth a call I think before spending a small fortune on the other options.
Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer!

Recent Topics