Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lands End to John O Groats....anybody done it on a Tiger ?  (Read 814 times)

Offline cat10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
Lands End to John O Groats....anybody done it on a Tiger ?
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »
Hi Guys,

Just got a new to me 2013 Tiger abs and I have got to say it is brilliant.

I am planning on doing a couple of trips around Europe next summer, but I thought I would try Lands End to John O Groats first.

The whole distance from my house will be close to 1800 miles.

Has anybody done it on a Tiger, if so have you got any tips on where to stop, routes etc...?

Thanks

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Lands End to John O Groats....anybody done it on a Tiger ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
Well, not all in one go, but amounting to that journey!   Too many choices re accomodation, I like camping but have moved away from b&bs, as they seem mor expensive than premier inn or travelodge. Whilst I would prefer " personal" to corporate Im afraid you cant beat the predictabi,ity of a P.I. !

And the other dilema is your tiger ( same as mine 2013 abs)  will eat the motorways or chugg along back roads, so again its down to what you want. 

The route from lands end could take you through cheddar gorge, welsh marches , cat and fiddle in the peaks,  yorkshire dales, the lakes, ( the borders are underrated) and Scotland is an east west choice.

Spoilt for choice.

As in praise of the tiger I have ridden from Bilbao to Gibralter in a day, and spent a full days riding where I didnt go above 50mph!  Its that versatile...

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tiger2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
Hi
Done John o Groats and Lands End in September also nc 500 at the same time,
Had 6 days of heavy rain, camped mostly but also travel lodges.
Stayed in travel lodge at Perth and was only 40 for room for two of us. We had been paying 15 per tent most of the time. Travel lodge can be cheaper as most dont have
A pub restaurant by them. Due to bad arthritis I managed 250 to 300miles per day.
This trip was with not much planning and just stopped ware we could. I would recommend that you plan your days and overnight stops this is what I should have done but just went at last minute.

Offline cat10

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 abs
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice chaps, some really good points there. Not sure I can ride more 250 miles a day and will probably stay at b & b,s.

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRt
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by cat10 [+]

I am planning on doing a couple of trips around Europe next summer, but I thought I would try Lands End to John O Groats first.

The Europe trips will be easier   :017:
I have done Lands End to John O Groats, but it was on a GPz900r in 1988, so things may have changed a bit since  :001:
2015 Bonneville Speedchurch
2018 Speed Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt

TC Drag Bike

Online rozzer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '16 1050 Sport
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 11:24:14 PM »

Iv'e done Lizard Point to Dunnet Head back in 2011,but in stages,I avoided doing Lands End to John o Groats as that is just Emmet trap to Emmet trap,by doing Lizard Point to Dunnet Head you are doing the most Southerly Point to the most Northerly Point on the British mainland,and if you take in Ardnamurchan Point on the way up you do the most Westerly point as well,then you only need to visit Lowestoff Ness on the way back to complete the 4 compass points on the British Mainland.
  I went via Goodwood Revival,Lake District, Fort William for the Scottish bits the visiting relatives in Essex on the way back,I don't reckon I did more than 300 miles a day,mainly used b&b,took ten days not including the three at the Revival.
  Emmet trap is a name given to a place where holidaymakers  are relieved of their cash by the locals.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Was all around Scotland from Switzerland in may this year, though on my now late Africa twin, greatest weather I have seen of all my Scott adventures, you'd avoid the midges going before summer, especially if you go camping it's best.

Although I thought the prices of accommodation either B&B or small hotels, were pretty insane during my travel, but always well received, if I have one advice is to go on Islay especially for whisky tasting, this was among my favorite places !

Offline felix

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »

Live in Harrogate North Yorks...done the north loop quite a few times.... on a few different bikes....
Last Time on the Tiger was 412 miles twisties all the way to  my first nights digs in Tain..... got there fresh as a daisy.
Did the south loop recently... alas involved many a motorway mile... still, The Tiger took it well in it's stride.

So, have done that trip on my Tiger,  but not in one hit.

Seriously.... no reason why it won't take that in it's stride..

Offline Beast

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 800 xr
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »
Done it on a bicycle, went across the North coast of Scotland and down the West, can thoroughly recommend that route. We ended up doing 550 miles before we hit England and averaged five pints a night. Scotland was by far the best part of the journey for the roads, scenery and the people I met. Would be cracking on a tiger, you can investigate trails and wild camp legally if you need to, generally a great country for exploring.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch