Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Heated grip connections  (Read 1338 times)

• Offline frenc

• Tiger Cub  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline frenc

• Tiger Cub
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: xc 800
    Heated grip connections
    on: Oct 24, 2019, 08.38 am
    Oct 24, 2019, 08.38 am
    Hi I burned the heated grips.

hello
    I read an old post from T800 that I put under my request.  I wanted to mount new heated knobs that have the integrated switch, I want to eliminate the OEM wiring but leave the relay, my knobs have only red + and black, how can I connect to the relay output, sorry for my english, thanks-

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1211.0.html

I've been taking a look at the wiring on my XC today, specifically for the OEM heated grips as I wanted to see how they were powered & switched. Some of these notes may be of help to anyone looking at adding some after-market grips, or other accessories.

Firstly, contrary to the official installation instructions I don't think it's necessary to remove the tank to fit the grips (and probably the fog lights too). I simply removed the 5 large socket button-head screws that hold the pastic trim to the radiator & tank to get ample access to the harness etc.

This first image shows the exposed wiring for the Triumph heated grips, on the left side of the radiator.

The main harness connector (under the front of the tank) has 3 wires.

The wire functions are as follows:-
    Violet - Fused permanent 12V (from 10A fuse#4, front fuse box)
    Black - 0V
    Blue - Switched 12V, on with ignition

The 3 wires feed the heated grip relay that's mounted on the side of the radiator left cover. The coloured wires can just be seen in the first photo above, but are clearer in the close-up below.

The red wire is the supply out to the handlebar-mounted control switch. This is supplied from the 12V signal from the violet wire that gets switched when the ignition is on & the relay enables. The wiring to the switch can be seen in the next photo.

The red & black supply wires are on the middle 2 contacts of the 6-pin connector. The pins at either end (1=yellow 2=green, and 5=white 6=blue) are the outputs from the switch to the right & left heated grips. The yellow & white wires provide 12V to the two grips whenever the ignition is switched on, regardless of the setting on the heated grip control switch on the handlebar (even off). The 0V gets switched when the grips are enabled, but in my opinion this low-side switching method isn't ideal and should be treated with some caution. With the 12V always on (when ignition is on), if either of the green or blue wires short to the handlebar (in the event of a wiring problem or water ingress) the appropriate grip will switch on to full power!

The bike's ECU has nothing to do with the control of the grips. All electronics are built-in to the small control switch on the handlebars. The heated grips have 2 settings, hot (red) and warm (green). When set to hot, the green and black wires are switched to 0V to complete the circuit & provide the full 12V to each of the grips. When set to the warm, the 0V line is modulated at approx 50Hz to provide an average half power to the grips. This can be seen in the following photo.

So anyone looking to add after-market grips, or wanting to add other accessories that require a switched supply, could easily make use of the 3-pin connector in the main harness.

Hope this helps.

:002:
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:51:39 PM by T800XC »
    Report post to moderator    Logged

Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 08.47 am by frenc

• Offline nixonpaul1   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    23

Offline nixonpaul1

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc
    Re: Heated grip connections
    Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2021, 07.22 am
    Dec 17, 2021, 07.22 am
    Hi been looking at your post .very helpfull iam fitting the triumph switch withe the fog ligt included do you know if it has the heigh and low settings as there is not enough connections and a diffrant plug type .was wanting to keep the relay in the system

• Offline K1W1   au

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    5097

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
    • Up in the hills
    • Bike/Model: XRX
    Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2021, 08.28 am
    Dec 17, 2021, 08.28 am
    *Originally Posted by nixonpaul1 [+]
    Hi been looking at your post .very helpfull iam fitting the triumph switch withe the fog ligt included do you know if it has the heigh and low settings as there is not enough connections and a diffrant plug type .was wanting to keep the relay in the system

If you are using the old style switch that is square and mounts to the mirror fitting it is three position. Push for low, push again for high and push again for off. The colour of the backlight changes for low and high.

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4677

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11.26 am
    Dec 17, 2021, 11.26 am
    *Originally Posted by nixonpaul1 [+]

If it is like my XRt switch then yes, lights up red on first press for 'high' and green on second press for 'low'. Next press obviously switches them off. :028:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

• Offline nixonpaul1   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    23

Offline nixonpaul1

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800xc
    Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2021, 01.00 pm
    Dec 17, 2021, 01.00 pm
     Thanks all was more looking at the connections as to replace the single heated grip switch to the double switch that incopreates fog lights .tar paul

• Offline Stevie.P   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    4677

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
    • REME -'Arte et Marte' ... By Skill and by Fighting
    • Bike/Model: 2015 Tiger XRt
    Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2021, 01.29 pm
    Dec 17, 2021, 01.29 pm
    Here is a link to the wiring diagram for the XRt/XCa of the era that had the switch I pictured above if it helps. :027:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,23381.msg263612.html#msg263612
    Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

winded-staunch