Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Maintenance training sessions  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ducatiparts.110mb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Bike Maintenance training sessions
« on: October 25, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »
I originally put this on the T1200 forum where I am small-business-forum-sponsor, and it has been suggested to put it up her as well as it is equally applicable...

Ive been asked whether Id run some bike maintenance training sessions. After considering it, Im keen to see what interest there might be across the forum, and to learn from any suggestions you may have to make the sessions more useful.

My initial thoughts are to run a series of one day sessions for up to 4 people at a time
1: Basic Servicing 1 day course covering:
Oil & filter change
Air filter change
Final drive oil change
Cleaning brake calipers
2: Advanced Servicing 1 day course covering:
Valve clearance check
Replacing spark plugs
3: Suspension Service 1 day course covering:
Fork oil change
Remove yokes & grease steering bearings
Strip and lubricate rear suspension linkage

Each day would run as a self contained training session and anyone could sign up for one or more, without needing to have done any of the others first. The sort of format I have in mind would be very much a hands-on training day, with all of us getting involved in the servicing work. One at a time, everyone attending would do one of the servicing tasks on their own bike with everyone else watching on. Id be supervising and getting as involved as necessary, but I think there would be a greater benefit in me offering guidance and everyone attending doing as much as possible of their own work.
I have all the tools necessary, and can buy in the consumables beforehand. All youd need to do is turn up on the day.

Things that still need thinking through please let me know your thoughts
Its been a long time since Ive done the valves on an Explorer, having moved on to other bikes, and Im not exactly sure how long it would take Im confident it would be less than a day start to finish, but it would be a long day, especially with the need to let the engine cool fully before measuring the clearances.
I havent fully worked out the costs yet but it will be significantly less than the cost of having Triumph do the work. Initially Im thinking of 100 per person, with oil, parts & consumables charged additionally. Personally Im happy with known-brand (non-Triumph) filters, but Ill buy whatever you prefer and charge them on at cost. I wouldnt charge for grease, degreaser, WD40, and other incidentals.
At the end of this year Im moving to Anglesey and could run one day courses from my workshop there, starting around April. I should have space for three or four bikes to be worked on at a time. Its not the most accessible location (but the roads to and from are wonderful) so Id consider doing the course somewhere in the midlands, travelling with all the tools in my car, if we can find a suitable venue.
Ill have a decent size garden and am happy for anyone to travel over the previous day and camp there overnight. If there are any takers Ill do a barbeque in the evening. Hanging space to dry out wet riding kit shouldnt be a problem. If this idea is popular we could  consider meeting in Snowdonia on the previous afternoon and have a ride out first to make a weekend of it. This would also give the benefit of being able to remove the bodywork on the evening before doing the valve clearances.
I can buy a shim kit so well be able to set the valve clearances, but if there are three or four on the course Id baulk at the price of buying three or four shim kits at the start. Being practical about it, it may end up with all of us working on one or two bikes the first time the valve servicing course runs.
Whilst we can have several bikes on the centrestand with the rear suspension stripped at a time, Ill only have one hoist to pick up the front to remove the forks & yokes. We could work around this by doing a set of forks whilst also doing the swingarm linkage on another bike in the morning, then swapping round in the afternoon to do two sets of forks, headrace bearings & swingarm linkages in a day.
All of the skills wed focus on would be transferrable to any bike if you want to bring something else to work on thats fine wed just need to find out the valve clearances & torque settings beforehand.
A mate has suggested a course on prep for overlanding. Example content could be changing tyres and adding electrical accessories. Theres room to add a few more items to this if you have any suggestions.
Finally, if anyone wants to come and use my tools & facilities to do their own work at another time Im sure we can work something out.

Feedback please
All the best, Mark

Offline steve@lincs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Bike Maintenance training sessions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 04:15:41 PM »
Hi, that sounds very interesting and I would be keen to learn. The most Ive done on my tiger is take the tank off to change the plugs and filter and  re grease  the rear linkage.   I understand the swinging arm should be done as well, so would be keen to do that under supervision.  And as you say, make a weekend of it ( Im free anytime, so that maybe widens the scope too )

Good luck and keep us all posted. Cheers, Steve

Offline DrSteve

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: xrx low
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
I'd be interested especially if the basic servicing day covered everything for a 6000 mile service and the advanced day covered the additional items for the 12000 mile service.

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »
Hi Mark.
Thank goodness for copy and paste eh!

:028:

Good luck.
Tom

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »
I would like to come along just to see how to do the final drive oil change on a Tiger 800.   :001: :001:

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I was planning the basic and advanced days around the amount of work that will fill a day, but as its worked out then its pretty much the same as the minor and major services.
I'm sure we can find time to include removing the swingarm once the rear suspension linkage is out.
Lets see what other comments come over the next few days and then make some proper plans.
Cheers, Mark

Online kempy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: MK1 800XC 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
Great idea! I'm a mechanical numpty so I'd be interested in the small service tasks + the "overlanding" sounds good :028:
It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll

Offline dickym29

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
Hi Mark
I would definitely be interested in combining a weekend in North Wales riding /camping/ maintenance day (especially the valve clearance one). Would like it to be on the same weekend next year from April/May time as Divebuddy101 over on the tiger explorer forum if you go ahead with this :001:
Richard

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback so far. In January I'll start a mailing list, for now it would be good to carry on getting expressions of interest so that I don't miss out anyone who wants to be included. All the best Mark

Offline louthtiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »
Sounds great I'd certainly be interested.

Recent Topics